Local roundup: Dudley fires things up for NL volleyball
New London — Nyarah Dudley had 15 service points, including 10 straight to end the third set, as the New London High School volleyball team blanked Wheeler 25-18, 25-22, 25-9 Wednesday night.
Dudley also had 19 digs. Serenity Lancaster had 10 points and 10 digs for the Whalers (3-4), while Malahika Paulo had seven points and seven digs, Cashel Jones seven points and seven digs, Raelyn Lopez 18 digs and Jadelise Garrett two aces and nine service points.
Victoria Tirado had four aces, three kills and four digs for Norwich Tech (3-3) and Joey Lynn Mills finished with three kills and two aces.
In other matches:
• Danica Agsalud had 21 assists as Waterford defeated Lyman Memorial 25-16, 25-15, 25-23. Emerson Lane had four aces, seven kills and five digs for the Lancers (3-1) while Jennifer Macca-Barnes had six aces, seven kills and four digs. Jenny Lopez had eight assists and seven digs while Rylee Benway added five kills for Lyman (2-4).
• Old Lyme lost to North Branford in the Shoreline Conference, 24-26, 21-25, 22-25. Grace Phaneuf had 21 assists for the Wildcats (3-3, 3-3) while Peighton Andrews had 12 kills and Kate Mullaney 11 digs.
• Evalina Kluykin had six kills and 17 digs as Norwich Free Academy defeated Montville 25-22, 25-22, 25-8. Stella Hogan had 13 digs for the Wildcats (7-0). Zoie Farrar had six kills for Montville (3-2), while Alyna Ovalles had 14 digs.
• Gretta Dombkowski had seven kills and seven aces as Griswold defeated Plainfield 25-12, 25-21, 25-16. Abby Matheson had eight kills and six digs for the Wolverines (1-3).
• Peyton Luther scored three goals and Ledyard blanked Bacon Academy 6-0 in an Eastern Connecticut Conference Division II game played for the ALS Cup. Ben Crowe, Sebby Fieldsend and Ryan Hernandez also scored for the Colonels (4-0 overall, 2-0 in the division) and Paulo Templeton made six saves. Bacon is 1-2, 0-1.
• Boden Frost finished with three goals and an assist and Fitch defeated Lyman Memorial 8-3. Felipe Dantas had two goals and an assist for the Falcons (1-3-1), while Donte Valentine, Kyren Potenciano and Luca Jump scored a goal apiece. Ben McLoughlin had three assists. Lyman is 1-3.
• Colby Cowan scored three first-half goals and Montville blanked New London 3-0 in ECC Division III. Colby Fedus and Noah Keenan added assists for the Wolves (2-1-1, 1-0-1) and Adonis Santiago made five saves. Oscar Amaya made six saves for New London (2-2, 1-2).
• Harrison Avery’s goal midway through the first half snapped a 1-1 tie and helped Wheeler defeat Plainfield 3-1 to remain unbeaten in ECC Division IV. David Levanto and Will Raggon also scored for the Lions (4-1, 3-0).
• Lewis Hawkins III scored three goals and added an assist in NFA’s 5-0 victory over St. Bernard. Griffin Chapel and Jaden Perkins also scored for NFA (2-1). St. Bernard is 3-2.
• Sal Alessio had his second hat trick of the season to lift Stonington past Windham 4-1 in ECC Division II. Alessio’s three goals against the Whippets give him nine goals in four games. Landon Pelletier also scored and Sawyer VanLew had two assists for the Bears (3-1, 1-1).
• Old Lyme lost to Old Saybrook 6-1 in the Shoreline Conference. Mason Bussman scored for the Wildcats (1-3, 1-2), assisted by Gavin Biega. Brayden Cody and Kevin DeCapua had two goals each for Old Saybrook.
• Williams lost to The Forman School, 2-1. Bryce Bennoff scored for the Blues (0-3).
UConn women to begin series with South Florida
• The UConn women’s basketball team will begin a two-year series with South Florida next season. The Huskies will host USF in 2024-25 and travel to Tampa in 2025-26.
UConn holds a 33-0 all-time record vs. USF, which were longtime conference rivals in both the Big East and American Athletic Conference. The teams last met in the 2021 Battle 4 Atlantis, an 88-53 win for the Huskies.
College men’s soccer
• Connecticut College used two late goals to defeat Trinity 2-1. Jack Kelesoglu scored the equalizer for Conn with just over 10 minutes remaining and Matt Scoffone scored the game-winner with 4:56 to play. Conn goes to 3-0-2 overall and 1-0-2 in NESCAC play. Trinity is 1-2-1, 0-2-1.
College field hockey
• Connecticut College earned a 1-0 victory over Smith College. Kylee Quinn scored in the fourth quarter off a penalty corner for Conn (2-3).
• Mitchell College snapped a six-match losing streak and earned its first victory as a member of the Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC), outlasting Albertus Magnus College in five sets. The Mariners won 18-25, 25-5, 22-25, 25-13, 15-11.
Bliss Brown registered a collegiate-best 33 kills to go along with 18 digs. Sarah Aviles (Griswold) matched her season high with 15 kills and while Allison Blum (14), Julia Lent (12) and Jenna Blankenship (11) all had double figures in digs. Blankenship had 24 assists and Hannah O’Brien was credited with 22, a season-high for the senior.
Blum concluded with the match with a service ace for the Mariners (3-6, 1-2).
Comment threads are monitored for 48 hours after publication and then closed.