H.S. tennis: Fitch boys turn the tables on Stonington
Groton - Fitch High School, a 4-3 loser at Stonington on Friday, bounced back Monday to defeat the Bears 7-0 in a boys' tennis match.
The Falcons (9-3) got key victories from their top two singles players as Nick Bonnassieux rallied for a 0-6, 6-2, 6-3 win at No. 1 singles and Doug Singer came back for a 4-6, 6-2, 7-5 win at No. 2 singles.
Joe Grant and Stefan Jones also won singles matches for Fitch as did the doubles teams of Ryan Halperin-Srini Srirangam, Niral Patel-Brandyn Young and Will Baldwin-Jacob Kowalski.
In other matches:
• Montville defeated Killingly 6-1 in the Eastern Connecticut Conference Small Division, picking up singles wins from Sean Rahusen, Corey Lorraine and Jarrod Varney and doubles wins from Branden Marino-Shawn Sprousse, Jack Greenwood-Matt Clark and Justin Santacroce-Samson Zhuang. The Indians are 3-7, 3-3.
• Old Lyme defeated Cromwell 5-2 in the Shoreline Conference. Morgan White, Dan Kurpaska, Taavi Koiv-Haus and Stuart Ross won their singles matches in straight sets for the Wildcats (15-1, 15-1).
• J.P. Precourt, Jacob Hensch and Dang VoTran won singles matches in straight sets for Norwich Free Academy in a 7-0 victory over Bacon Academy. NFA is 7-4, Bacon 1-10.
• Jason Smith rallied to win in three sets at No. 3 singles, leading Ledyard past Windham 5-2 in the ECC Medium. Eric Sun, James Cusmano and Zach Higgins also won in singles for the Colonels (8-6, 5-2).
• Old Lyme swept its doubles matches to edge Cromwell 4-3. Michelle Gao and Hannah O'Brien won their match at No. 1 doubles, followed by the teams of Jenna Kowalski and Emily Czarnecki at No. 2 and Mikayla Bellaria and Paige Palenski at No. 3. Meredith Aird won at No. 2 singles for Old Lyme (11-4).
• Jillian Stevenson, Haley Riley and Victoria Majcher won singles matches for NFA in a 5-2 victory over Bacon Academy. Also winning for the Wildcats (4-8) were the doubles teams of Sarah Slocum and Courtney Majcher and Kirsten Wesslek and Shayla Johnson. Cassie Skelley won at No. 2 singles for Bacon (1-12).
• Addy Jakuba won at No. 1 singles for Ledyard in a 4-3 loss to Windham in the ECC Medium. The Colonels (8-6, 3-4) also won at No. 2 doubles with Megan Brooks-Xiao Chen and at No. 3 doubles with Jordan Bierman- Mandy Wong.
• Susy Kusmierski won her match at No. 1 singles in St. Bernard's 6-1 loss to Woodstock.
• Annika Burgess, Chloe Slater, Caroline Kam and Mollie Kam won singles matches in Stonington's 7-0 win over Fitch. The Bears improved to 12-0.
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES