- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
Groton - Zach Albin and Doug Domnarski allowed no earned runs over 13 innings as the UConn-Avery Point baseball team swept a doubleheader from Monroe College of New York on Friday.
Albin (4-2) pitched a one-hitter as the Pointers won the opener 5-1 and Stonington's Domnarski (7-0) allowed five hits over six innings in a 12-1 win in the second game. Albin struck out eight with one walk and Domnarski struck out four with two walks.
Joel Acosta's three-run homer in the fifth inning rallied Avery Point (29-6) from a 1-0 deficit in the opener. Nick DeLotto had three hits and scored twice and Kevin Hall had two hits. In the second game, Chris Mayhew was 4-for-4 with four RBI and Nick Perrelli had two hits, three RBI and scored twice.
In other games:
• Clark scored four runs in the bottom of the first inning and went on to a 10-2 win over Coast Guard in a New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference game. Kyle Wood and Lukas Laplante had two hits each for Coast Guard (11-18, 6-9).
• UConn lost to Temple 7-4 in 14 innings in an American Athletic Conference game. UConn's Blake Davey hit a two-run homer in the bottom of the ninth to force extra innings. Bryan Daniello had three hits for UConn (18-18, 5-5).
• Sarah Sorensen pitched a five-hitter as Coast Guard beat Emerson 2-0 to complete a NEWMAC doubleheader sweep. Coast Guard won the opener 5-4, scoring four runs in the top of the 10th inning and hanging on for the win when Emerson scored three times in the bottom of the inning. Sorensen (5-10) struck out two with no walks and Stonington's Kelly Grills was 3-for-3 with an RBI.
Kaitlin Ward's two-run double highlighted the 10th-inning outburst in the opener. Jessie Richardson, who had two hits in the second game, and Morgan Kingston (double) also drove in runs in the 10th for Coast Guard (13-17, 6-10).
• Mitchell College split a doubleheader with Southern Vermont in the New England Collegiate Conference, winning the opener 7-2 and losing the second game 9-4. Shannon O'Neil was 4-for-7 with six RBI on the day and drove in six runs in the opener for Mitchell (12-17, 8-6). Former St. Bernard standout Rivkah Berkman had three hits and scored twice and Waterford's Samantha Ryan tripled in the opener for Mitchell.
• Bates College took a nine-goal lead and held on to beat Connecticut College 15-12 in the New England Small College Athletic Conference. Erin Moran and Hannah Donegan had three goals each and Taylor Thomas scored twice for Conn (4-10, 0-9).
• Amherst beat Connecticut College 9-0 in both men's and women's tennis in the NESCAC.