Local colleges: Mitchell men defeat Wheelock 3-0 in NECC
Boston — Five former Eastern Connecticut Conference standouts scored goals or had assists as Mitchell College beat winless Wheelock 3-0 in a New England Collegiate Conference men's soccer game on Saturday.
David Hernandez (NFA), Wadlet Jean-Baptiste (New London) and Yianni Longinidis (Waterford) had goals. Brayan Mora (New London), Jose Roman III (New London) and Hernandez had assists and former NFA standout Seth Strader made nine saves in goal for the Mariners (3-6-1, 2-1). Wheelock is 0-9, 0-3.
In other games:
• Abdou Mbacke Thiam scored his team-high seventh goal of the season as UConn beat Cincinnati 1-0 in an American Athletic Conference game. Thiam scored in the 79th minute with Austin DaSilva assisting. Scott Levene made six saves for UConn (6-3-2, 3-0).
• Unbeaten Connecticut College scored three times in the first half and went on to a 3-1 win over Bates in the New England Small College Athletic Conference. Liam Noonan had a goal and an assist, Graham Koval and Ben Manoogian had goals, Ben Highton and Christian Murphy had assists and A.J. Marcucci made four saves for Conn (8-0-3, 4-0-3).
• Coast Guard Academy recorded its eighth shutout of the season, beating Clark 3-0 in the New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference. Alex Hall scored twice, Luke Telang had a goal and Montville's Jake Sorenson made five saves for his fourth shutout of the season. Ryan Dandan, Noah Harper and Niantic's Quintin Parson had assists for Coast Guard (8-2-1, 3-1).
• Kat Norton scored twice as No. 16 Conn College beat Bates 3-0 in the NESCAC. Caroline Kelleher also scored, Michelle Medina, New London's Mia Santana and Mackenzie Kingston had assists for Conn (9-1-1, 5-1-1).
• Coast Guard lost to Babson in a NEWMAC game, 5-0. Rachel Boohar made three saves for Coast Guard (5-6, 2-3).
• Mitchell lost to Elms 8-0 in the NECC. Jordan Lohneiss made 13 saves for the Mariners (1-7, 0-3).
• Conn College lost to Bates 3-1 in the NESCAC. Jamie Navoni broke up the shutout with a goal in the 63rd minute. Enya McGarry had an assist and Andi McGraw made five saves for Conn (3-8, 1-7).
• No. 1 UConn set multiple programs records in a 12-0 Big East win over Villanova on Friday night. Charlotte Veitner, Casey Umstead and Margot van Hecking Colenbrander scored three goals each for the Huskies (12-0, 4-0). Senior goalie Nina Klein didn't record a save en route to her program-record 76th win, and 32nd shutout of her career.
• UConn earned a series split with a 5-1 win over Maine in Hockey East. Five different players scored, Miles Gendron had three assists, Johnny Austin had two assists and Adam Huska had 38 saves for UConn (1-1, 1-1). Derek Pratt, Alexander Payusov, Maxim Letunoc, Karl El-Mir and Corey Ronana scored the goals.
UConn opened the season with a 4-3 overtime loss to Maine on Friday night. UConn's Jeff Wight scored with 15.9 seconds left in the third period to force overtime. Kasperi Ojantakanen and Benjamin Freeman also scored for UConn.
• Conn College lost to Middlebury in the NESCAC on Friday night, 25-13, 25-13, 25-10. Grace McGee had 11 assists and Elle Kass Jenny Kellogg had 11 digs each for Conn (9-6, 1-5).
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES