Support journalism that matters to you

Since COVID-19 impacts us all and we want everyone in our community to have the important information they need, we have decided to make all coronavirus related stories free to read on While we are providing free access to articles, they are not free to produce. The newsroom is working long hours to provide you the news and information you need during this health emergency. Please consider supporting our work by subscribing or donating.

Kitchen fire displaces four families in Groton City

Get the weekly rundown
Sign up to receive our weekly Legal Insider newsletter

Groton — City firefighters quickly extinguished a kitchen fire Tuesday night at 223 Bridge St., but not before the blaze damaged one apartment and displaced several people living in three other units .

Groton City Fire Chief Nicholas DeLia said the fire was reported at 8:01 p.m.  He said when fire crews arrived the kitchen was engulfed in flames and was quickly spreading to a bedroom and living room.

The fire was under control in about 15 minutes.  He said the two-story building had a total of four apartments.

Two people, a mother and a child, were living in the apartment that caught on fire. DeLia said the fire appears to be accidental caused by cooking.

The American Red Cross said it was helping seven people – five adults and two children – in four families, assisting with emergency housing, food and clothing needs.

No injuries were reported.

DeLia said the fire also damaged some electrical wiring inside the dwelling. He said is hoping that two of the families may be able to return to their apartments later Wednesday.

In addition to Groton City, Electric Boat, the Submarine Base, Poquonnock Bridge fire departments also responded. The Noank fire department covered the city’s headquarters.


Loading comments...
Hide Comments