New London police dog aids in capture of wanted man

Get the weekly rundown
Sign up to receive our weekly Legal Insider newsletter

New London - A city police dog assisted in the capture Thursday of a man wanted in connection with an ongoing felony investigation.

At 10:08 a.m., police responded to an apartment at 31 Riverview Ave. in an attempt to find 34-year-old Michael Judd, who police said was wanted on warrants for assault and violating his probation. Police said they had learned he was hiding in an apartment rented by a relative.

During a search of the apartment, police said they found Judd hiding under a pile of clothes and debris. He refused to move from his hiding spot when ordered by police.

Because of the fear that Judd could be armed and dangerous, police sent a dog in as incentive for him to surrender. He did.

Judd was taken to Lawrence + Memorial Hospital for treatment of what police described as superficial injuries related to a dog bite.

Judd was released back into police custody and charged with third-degree burglary, interfering with an officer, two counts violation of probation and two counts second-degree failure to appear. He was held on a $175,000 bond.

Along with some past convictions, court records show Judd has several pending assault cases in Norwich Superior Court, where his arrest was ordered when he failed to show up in court.


Loading comments...
Hide Comments

Stories that may interest you

Police logs - April 19, 2019

Arrests by state police and local departments around the region.

Two condemned pit bulls remain in Norwich pound since 2013 awaiting judge's ruling

Oral arguments were held Thursday in New Britain Superior Court in dog owner Sheri Speer's appeal of the destruction order.

Rabid bobcat euthanized after attacks on golfer, horse

A golfer used his club in self-defense when a bobcat "came out of nowhere" and attacked him Thursday morning at the Mohegan Sun Golf Course, a club official said.

Man arrested in 2017 in Old Lyme for fentanyl possession is sentenced to 30 months

Alcides Alba-Gomez, 29, pleaded guilty in January and was sentenced on Thursday.