New London moped robbery case to be tried in major crimes court

Three teenagers accused of holding up two men on mopeds in New London last month so that they could go "joyriding" are now navigating the state judicial system.

Hassan Foster-Carney, 18, of 320 Central Ave., Norwich, made his first appearance Tuesday before Superior Court Judge Susan B. Handy in the court where major crimes are heard. Foster-Carney, who is charged with fifth-degree larceny and first degree robbery, is free on a $50,000 bond. He told the judge he is in the process of hiring an attorney.

"Are you aware that the maximum sentence for first-degree robbery is 20 years?" Handy asked Foster-Carney. He said yes. She ordered him to have no contact with the co-defendants or victims and continued the case to Sept. 5.

Dwayne Miller, 18, of 26 Jefferson Ave., New London, is due to appear before Handy on Tuesday. He is also charged with first-degree robbery and fifth-degree larceny. He is free on a $25,000 bond.

The name of the third defendant, a 17-year-old, has not yet been made public due to his age, though the case is expected to be transferred to the adult docket due to the seriousness of the charges. Senior Assistant State's Attorney David J. Smith is prosecuting.

According to a report by New London Patrolman Benjamin Burbank, police were called to Wendy's restaurant on Colman Street at 12:49 a.m. on July 13 for the robbery of a motor scooter.

The two male victims, both 21 years old, told police they went to the restaurant to meet a friend and were there for just a couple of minutes when a car pulled up and three males approached them and asked if they could ride the motor scooters. The victims said they refused because they feared the males would steal the bikes.

The victims said one of the males pulled out what appeared to be a silver revolver and started yelling at the victims to give them the scooters. The one with the gun told the victim to start his scooter and to "not even think about taking off," according to the report.

The victim said he started his scooter, and the man with the gun pushed him off it and rode off, according to the report. The other victim said he pretended he couldn't start his scooter. He said the male "got nervous and ran off."

Officer John Michaud located a person on West Coit Street matching the description of the stolen bike, a red TaoTao 50cc scooter, according to the report. The police took the victims to West Coit Street for a one-on-one identification, where they both positively identified Foster-Carney as being the person who did not have a gun at Wendy's.

Foster-Carney told police he came to New London for a high school graduation party. He said the 17-year-old got out of the car and went over to the two victims and said, "Man these scooters are dope." Foster-Carney told the officer that the teen suddenly pulled out a gun, pushed the scooter's driver off and rode away.

Miller, the other defendant, told police that when the trio noticed the victims on the scooters, "they came up with a plan to get the scooters for some joyriding."


Loading comments...
Hide Comments