New London school board to receive findings in superintendent investigation tonight
New London — The findings of the Board of Education’s investigation into superintendent appointee Terrence P. Carter are scheduled to be made public at this evening’s board meeting.
The board will begin its meeting — which will convene at 6 p.m. in the lecture hall at the Science and Technology Magnet High School — by retreating into executive session to discuss the investigation, according to the meeting agenda.
Later, in public session, the board will take up “receipt of report of independent investigation concerning Terrence Carter,” per the agenda.
The agenda does not include action items that would allow the board to reconsider its unanimous appointment of Carter or to vote on whether the board should enter into a contract with him.
Board President Margaret Mary Curtin did not return phone calls seeking comment Wednesday.
Carter’s appointment as the city’s superintendent of schools has been on hold for more than a month as the board waits for the results of an investigation into his academic credentials and financial background.
On June 12, the board unanimously voted to appoint Carter as the city’s next superintendent. He was to start Aug. 1, but media reports revealed that he had misrepresented himself — or allowed others to misrepresent him — as having a doctorate for more than five years before he completed his doctoral studies and that he had twice filed for personal bankruptcy.
Later, The Day reported that at least 10 paragraphs of Carter’s application for the superintendent job in New London, and large portions of his cover letter, contained material apparently copied from other sources without attribution.
Earlier this week, Lesley University in Cambridge, Mass., did not bestow a doctoral degree in educational studies on Carter as expected, despite assurances in June from the university that Carter had completed the requirements for the degree and successfully defended his dissertation.
The state Department of Education last month asked Carter to withdraw himself from consideration for the New London job, a request the department still stands by, department spokeswoman Kelly Donnelly said Monday.
Carter has declined to remove his name from consideration and has not spoken publicly since the board launched its investigation.
The state also froze Carter’s application to become a certified superintendent and will review it again after the city’s Board of Education completes its investigation.
Stories that may interest you
As the repaired and refurbished Mayflower II plies the seas off New London, let us remember her ancestor, the one that brought 102 immigrants from Plymouth to Plymouth in 1620.
Senator says utility company “too big to do the job” during visit to Madison grocery store that lost power, incurring $500,000 in losses.
Mayor Michael Passero helps raise the Ecuadorean flag to celebrate that nation's independence day Monday at City Hall.