Sandy Hook school receives threat on shooting anniversary
NEWTOWN, Conn. (AP) — Sandy Hook Elementary School students have been sent home for the day after a bomb threat forced an evacuation on the sixth anniversary of the massacre that killed 20 first-graders and six educators.
Newtown police say the threat was made at about 9 a.m. Friday and the school was evacuated. Lt. Aaron Bahamonde says there's a heightened level of anxiety in town on the anniversary and the school superintendent decided to cancel remaining classes.
It's unclear whether the threat was related to the bomb threats made nationwide Thursday.
The school where the shooting happened on Dec. 14, 2012, was knocked down and a new building was constructed at the same site.
Moments of silence were observed in Newtown and other places Friday morning in memory of the victims.
Stories that may interest you
Maine Democratic House Speaker Sara Gideon says she's challenging veteran Republican U.S. Sen. Susan Collins, whose political future has generated an enormous amount of attention over the last year
Representatives from some of the nation's largest generic drug manufacturers used code words to collude with competitors to divvy up market share and coordinate price increases
The driver of a pickup truck was arrested Monday in connection with a crash that killed seven motorcyclists on a New Hampshire highway last week.
In a measured speech on the House floor Monday, U.S. Rep. Jim Himes, D-4th District, broke ranks with House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, becoming the first member of the Connecticut delegation to join more than 70 congressional Democrats calling for an impeachment inquiry into the acts of President Donald...