New London beats Fitch on halfcourt shot at buzzer
New London — Noah James made a halfcourt shot at the buzzer to complete a wild rally by the New London boys’ basketball in its 57-54 win over Fitch on Thursday night.
New London (3-7) trailed by 12 points with 3 minutes, 20 seconds left.
James scored 22 points to lead the Whalers and Tayeshawn Cunningham-Pemberton had 14 points and seven rebounds.
Quasim Brown and Shawn Morales both scored 13 for the Falcons (5-5).
In other games:
• RJ Parrilla had 15 points, eight rebounds and six steals in Stonington's 78-31 win over Wheeler. Zach Scott had 16 points and eight rebounds for Stonington (8-2) and Marco Tedeschi had four 3-pointers and 14 points. Bowen Baker and Scott Pion each scored nine for the Lions (3-7).
• Brady Sheffield scored 15 points as Old Lyme cruised to its fifth straight win, a 59-31 victory over Hale-Ray in the Shoreline Conference. Aedan Using added 14 for the Wildcats (8-1, 8-0) while Quinn Romeo finished with 10 points and nine rebounds and Liam Holloway had five points and four steals.
• Mitchell College built a 21-point lead in the second half before holding off Southern Vermont 73-65 for a New England Collegiate Conference victory. Waterford's Landon Peabody scored 15 points for the bench for the Mariners (9-6, 4-3), including a big 3-pointer after the Mountaineers had pulled to within six with one minute remaining. It was Mitchell's first win over Southern Vermont (11-5, 5-3) since 2013. Domenico Santiago added 14 points and 10 rebounds for the Mariners while Hasani Williams had 13 points and eight rebounds and Matt Finke and Steffen Brunson scored 10 points apiece.
• Bristol Community College improved to 16-1 with a 102-56 win over UConn Avery Point in Groton. Waterford freshman Trevor Yeomans led the Pointers (5-12) with 12 points while Norwich's Alec Gomes and Elijah Malbeouf-Boyd added 10 points apiece.
• Ciara McKissick had 11 points, 11 rebounds, four assists and four steals as Becker downed Mitchell 63-49, the first NECC loss of the season for the Mariners. Cassidy Harrison had 17 points, six steals and four assists for Becker (11-5, 8-1), which used a 22-10 third-quarter edge to pull away for the win. Amina Wiley had 20 points and seven rebounds for Mitchell (9-6, 8-1) and Kelsey Hernandez had 11 points and five rebounds.
• The UConn-Temple game scheduled for Sunday at the Liacouras Center in Philadelphia has been moved to Saturday at noon due to an impending winter storm which has the potential to bring snow, ice, sleet and rain to the Northeast beginning Saturday night. UConn fans who had tickets, but might not be able to attend the game because of the schedule change can receive a refund by calling the Temple ticket office at (215) 204-8499 Monday-Friday from 10 a.m.-5 p.m. before Feb. 1. Refunds only apply to UConn-Temple single-game ticket buyers who purchased tickets through Temple.
• Carly Potts scored 14 to pace St. Bernard past Lyman Memorial, 40-24. Amber Caldwell had eight points and 10 rebounds for the Saints (4-7) and Lindsay Clement and Emily Nelson both scored nine.
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES