Health alert issued after dog tests positive for rabies in Groton

Groton — Public health officials are reminding residents to refrain from feeding or approaching wild or stray animals after a dog found in the area of Midway Oval tested positive for rabies Wednesday.

Rabies is a deadly disease caused by a virus that can infect all warm-blooded animals, including people, the Ledge Light Health District said in an alert sent to media outlets.

The disease mostly is spread by wild animals, but stray cats and dogs may also become infected and spread the virus, the district's alert said. The rabies virus lives in the saliva and brain tissue of infected animals, and the disease can be spread by scratches from infected animals or when infected saliva comes into contact with open wounds, breaks in the skin or mucous membranes, including the eyes, nose and mouth.

For more information, contact Ledge Light Health District at (860) 448-4882, extension 1311, or the animal control officer at (860) 441-6709.

READER COMMENTS

Loading comments...
Hide Comments

Stories that may interest you

Amish carpenters build North Stonington pavilion in less than six hours

New structure will provide visitors to the Hewitt Farm's nature trails and bucolic outing spaces with much needed shade.


More students allege misconduct by former Stonington teacher

Complaints that a former Stonington High School teacher allegedly engaged in unwanted and inappropriate physical contact with several female students sparked outcry among parents and inspired more students to come forward.


Wright, McLaughlin to begin serving as Mitchell College co-presidents

With Mitchell College President Janet Steinmayer departing, two administrators prepare to take over as interim co-presidents.


Beautiful beach day

People line Osprey Beach in New London on Sunday to enjoy the sun and warm weather after a rainy and cool week.

TRENDING

PODCASTS