Local roundup: Buscetto sparks Mitchell men past Lesley
New London — Waterford's Mikey Buscetto had a school-record 20 assists as the Mitchell College men's basketball team beat Lesley 119-91 on Thursday night.
Buscetto's 20 assists were the most for the Mariners in their Division III history and the most by a Division III player this season.
Alfonzo Stokes and Robert Zirlis scored 20 points each and Buscetto had eight points and six steals. New London's Jalen Benson had 14 points and six assists, former St. Bernard standout Hunter Baillargeon scored 13, Jacob Narveaz had 10 points and Dontae Pollard had seven rebounds for the Mariners (9-8).
Gabe McCrary had 22 points, seven rebounds and six steals for Lesley (2-11).
In other games:
• Northern Essex beat Avery Point 67-47 in an NJCAA Region XXI game. Waterford's Trevor D'Amico had 11 points and seven rebounds and Terrell Gardner of Norwich had nine points and seven rebounds for the Pointers (2-9, 2-7).
• The Big East announced that Sunday's UConn-Providence game, originally scheduled for 11 a.m. at the Dunkin' Donuts Center in downtown Providence, has been moved to Sunday at 7:30 p.m. on the PC campus at Alumni Hall. The game will still be televised on SNY.
The conference also announced that PC's game at Creighton on Friday has been moved from 7:30 to 5 p.m. in order to allow the Friars time to fly home before the forecasted snowstorm hits New England.
H.S. boys' basketball
• Dorell Cagle had 23 points and six rebounds as Ledyard got the best or Prince Tech 59-54 in a non-conference game. Caden Whipple added 11 points and eight assists for the Colonels (6-6) and Ryan Outlow finished with 12 points, seven rebounds and three blocks. Prince Tech is 8-3.
• East Lyme beat Woodstock Academy 66-33. Riley Walsh scored 20 points while Will Anglin and Gavin O'Brien scored 12 points each for the Vikings 7-6).
• Wheeler suffered its first loss in Eastern Connecticut Conference Division IV play, losing to Tourtellotte 56-51 in overtime. Zane Brewer of Wheeler made a 3-pointer with five seconds left in regulation to send the game to overtime. Brewer finished with 20 points and 10 rebounds, Kyle Kessler scored 16 and Deondre Bransford had 14 rebounds for Wheeler (8-5, 4-1). Dan Boutin led Tourtellotte with 21 points.
• Elijah Shelton had a double-double — 13 points and 10 rebounds, as Fitch toppled Plainfield 56-38. Kevin Saintville-Ravix also scored 13 points for the Falcons (3-8) and Van Spruill added 11.
• Aiden Jeamel scored 15 points as Coventry defeated Lyman Memorial 48-36 in a non-conference game. Jaiden Lopez scored 12 for Lyman (1-12).
H.S. girls' basketball
• Addie Hauptmann scored 23 points as Wheeler beat Putnam 40-24 in an ECC Division IV game. Marissa Perkins scored 12 points, Skyler Morgan had seven rebounds and Hauptmann had six rebounds and six steals for the Lions (5-9, 2-3).
• Enfield edged Ledyard 50-49 in a non-conference game on Wednesday night. The Colonels (6-5) were led by Natalyah Williams and Kiki Kirvan. Each scored 12 points, including a pair of 3-pointers.
• Waterford used four pins to defeat Bacon Academy 45-30 in an ECC Division II match on Wednesday night in Colchester. Mason Concascia (152 pounds), Devon Powers (170), Zachary Ruest (182) and Teak Sturgill (220) each posted pins for the Lancers (4-10, 1-2) while Elijah Klusek (120) earned a 2-0 decision. Bacon (8-22, 0-3) picked up pins from Dominic Colella (126), Gabriel Mahon (132), Connor Tuttle (145) and Carson Brown (160).
• Connecticut College's Reuben Burk, who guided the Camels to the program's first NCAA Division III championship in 2021, was named National Coach of the Year by d3soccer.com. In addition, junior midfielder Augie Djerdjaj was named a first team All-American by the website. Djerdjaj, who scored the lone goal and then converted a penalty kick during Conn's shootout victory over Amherst in the final, was also the 2021 NESCAC Player of the Year.
Stories that may interest you
Former Stonington standout Kevin Ferrer (UConn) homered in the top of the second for the Schooners (6-6).
BASEBALL/SOFTBALLNew London Babe Ruth — Looking for players ages 14-16. Players who live in New London, Groton, Stonington, Ledyard and surrounding areas are eligible. Contact: Dave, (860) 772-7337 or Anna, (860) 443-7553.BASKETBALLColchester...