High school roundup: Montville finishes second at Fairfield Warde Invite
Fairfield — Freshman Blake Chapman won the 108-pound championship and was one of Montville’s four finalists as it placed second at Saturday’s Fairfield Warde Invite.
Warde, ranked fourth in the Connecticut Wrestling Online state coaches’ poll, won the Invite with 230 points. Montville scored 156, followed by Staples (151), Westhill (123.5), and ninth-ranked Middletown (111.5).
Sawyer Kury (134), Mick Wynosky (140), and Darrick Deaveau (heavyweight) all placed second for Montville while Ian Anderson (152) and Zack Navarrette (160) both finished third. Jayden Colon (119) was fourth, and Ioana Cobena (170) and Ken Sheehan-Heon (182) both placed sixth.
In other matches:
• Cole Dirico won the 138-pound championship as 11th-ranked Ledyard placed fourth out of 24 teams at the Bristol Central Invitational. Second-ranked Bristol Eastern finished first, followed by No. 3 Southington and No. 10 Avon. Brayden Grim was runner-up at 160, Connor Doran (106), Tyler Miller (132), Adam Crawford (170) and Andrew Allen (195) all finished fourth, and Davin McIver took sixth at heavyweight for the Colonels.
• Mason Concascia of Waterford went 4-0 with four pins at 106 pounds as the Lancers went 3-1 at the East Haven Duals. Waterford beat Platt 49-27, Stratford 72-12 and Newtown 49-28 while losing to East Haven 40-30. A.J. Sachatello (152) was 4-0 with three pins, Logan Smith (113), Eric Zane (138) and Jeremiah Harshberger (220) were each 4-0 with two pins for Waterford. Tyler Radack (132) and Jacob Gannotti (170) each went 3-1 with three pins for the Lancers (10-2).
• Connor Devega of NFA was 4-0 with four pins at 120 pounds as the Wildcats went 1-3 at the Killingly Duals. NFA beat East Catholic 57-21 and lost to New Britain (39-31), Griswold (40-39) and RHAM (42-38). Dominic Renfree (132) and Brandon Nieto (138) won three matches each for NFA (11-6) and teammates Savannah Vanase (113) and Mason McMahon (182) each won twice.
• Charlotte Carney and Alyssa Virtue scored 10 points each as Fitch beat Ledyard 31-23 in an Eastern Connecticut Conference Division II game. Carney had six rebounds and four steals and Virtue had eight rebounds for Fitch (4-4, 1-2). Sam Money led Ledyard (3-4, 0-2) with 11 points.
• Fitch beat Ledyard 8-1 and Bacon 7-2 in foil as Sneha Kumar and Jaiden Lehman each went 4-1 with plus-16 indicators. Bacon beat Ledyard 5-4. In epee, Bacon beat Ledyard 9-0 and Fitch 6-3 while Fitch beat Ledyard 7-2.
• Ledyard beat Fitch 5-4, Bacon beat Ledyard 6-3 and Fitch beat Bacon 5-4 in foil. Ledyard beat Fitch 8-1 in epee.
• Evan Tower had two goals and two assists as the Eastern CT Eagles beat Tri-Town 5-2 on Friday night in a Nutmeg Conference game. Ryan Huta had a goal and three assists and Kyle Jacobson had a goal and two assists for the Eagles, who scored four straight goals after trailing 1-0. Rylin Fowler made 24 saves and Will Cannella had a goal for the Eagles (4-2, 4-0).
• Dan Estrin, Jason Blain and Sebastian Zegarra won two events each as Waterford beat Windham/RHAM/Coventry 92-88 in an ECC meet on Friday. Estrin won the 200 individual medley (2:41.52) and 100 butterfly (1:10.49), Blain won the diving (191 points) and 100 breaststroke (1:31.74) and Zegarra won the 200 freestyle (2:42.26) and 400 freestyle (5:49.98). Caleb Zane also won an event for Waterford (2-0, 2-0).
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES