H.S. roundup: Ledyard, NFA each go 3-0 at inaugural Snitkin Duals
Norwich — The Ledyard and Norwich Free Academy wrestling teams both went 3-0 at the inaugural Carl Snitkin Memorial Duals on Saturday.
NFA beat St. Bernard (60-13), Law (64-18) and Shepherd Hill, Mass. (69-6). Ledyard beat Law (63-15), St. Bernard/Norwich Tech (68-12) and Shepherd Hill (66-6).
Theran Vanase (152) won all three of his matches by pin and Dominic Renfree (132) won twice by decision and another match by pin for the Wildcats (14-8). Also, Connor DeVega (120), Brandon Nieto (138) and Jadon Powell (145) each won twice by pin.
Juan Garcia (113 pounds), Jacob Foster (120), Tyler Miller (132), Cole Dirico (138), Adam Crawford (170), Tolan Peterson (182), Andrew Allen (195), and Tim Dorr (220) all went 3-0 for the Colonels (18-6).
The duals were held in honor of Snitkin, the legendary NFA coach who died last May. Snitkin began the program in 1974 and coached the team for 25 years. NFA won 13 conference titles and nine CIAC Class LL state championships, including winning six straight state titles from 1983-88, a state record at the time. Only Danbury has won more successive CIAC titles (14).
In other meets:
• Darrick Deaveau won his final match by pin to win at heavyweight and give Montville the team title at the Rodney Smith Classic in East Windsor. Montville scored 142 points, followed by Suffield (139) and NW Regional (136). Sawyer Kury (132) and Ken Heon (182) added seconds for the Indians, Jayden Colon (119), Ian Anderson (152), Chris Cullen (160) and Zack Doiron (195) all placed third, and Quinn Bond (125) and Ioana Cobena (170) added fourths.
• Aedan Using scored a game-high 19 points as Old Lyme won its eighth straight game with a 67-40 victory over East Hampton in the Shoreline Conference. The Wildcats (11-1, 10-0) had a balanced attack as Connor Hogan added 13 points and eight rebounds, Brady Sheffield had 11 points and eight steals, Jared Ritchie had 10 points and Quinn Romeo nine.
• New London lost to Cranston East (R.I.) 50-47. Elijah Robinson scored 18 points and Camaree Williams had 11 for the Whalers (5-8).
• Sara Dias won all six of her foil matches to lead East Lyme past Ledyard (7-2) and St. Bernard (8-1) in an ECC girls' meet. St. Bernard beat Ledyard 6-3. St. Bernard’s Payton McCauley and Grace Murphy both won four of their six matches to lead the Saints past East Lyme (6-3) and Ledyard (5-4) in epee. Ledyard also beat East Lyme, 6-3.
Andrew Lemire won all six of his matches for St. Bernard past East Lyme (5-4) and Ledyard (6-3) in boys' epee. Ledyard also beat East Lyme, 6-3. In foil, Jesse Bogart and Sam Gresh each won four of their six matches to pace East Lyme to wins over St. Bernard (6-3) and Ledyard (5-4). Ledyard beat St. Bernard, 5-4.
• Alex Cole went 3-0 and scored 15 points to lead Waterford to an 8-1 win over Bacon in the girls’ foil. Waterford’s Kate Cote went 3-0 and was the high-scorer (15) in the girls’ epee, which Bacon won 5-4.
Nealkanth Patel won all six of his matches with a high-score of 30 as New London beat Bacon (8-1) and Waterford (6-3) in the boys’ foil. Waterford edged Bacon 5-4. Mekih Rodriquez went 3-0 and scored 15 as New London beat Waterford 5-3 in epee.
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES