H.S. basketball roundup: Jones sparks Whalers past Colonels
New London — Jabari Jones had 18 points and 10 rebounds as New London beat Ledyard on Tuesday night, 77-67, in an Eastern Connecticut Conference Division I game.
Tayeshawn Cunningham-Pemberton scored 18, Elijah Robinson had 17 points and five assists, and Noah James had 17 points and five steals for New London (6-8, 1-3), which has won four of its last five games.
Ken Turner had 25 points and 11 rebounds, Seamus McGrath scored 15, and Syncere Gray scored 10 for the Colonels (5-6, 1-2).
In other games:
• Ray Doll had 10 rebounds and three assists as Old Lyme used a dominant first quarter to cruise to a 58-27 win over Westbrook in the Shoreline Conference. Brady Sheffield scored 10 for Old Lyme (12-1, 11-0), which outscored the White Knights 20-4 in the first quarter.
• Fitch qualified for the state tournament with a 65-59 win over Killingly in ECC Division II. The Falcons improved to 8-6, 4-1.
• Cooper Wall scored 15 points while RJ Parilla had 12 and Zach Scott 10 in Stonington's 45-30 win over Griswold in ECC Division III. The Bears are 11-3, 4-1.
• Cole Paquin scored 17 as Windham Tech beat Grasso Tech, 89-66, in a Connecticut Technical Conference game. Silus Wiggins had 24 points for Grasso (2-12) and Luis Duran scored 14.
• Aliza Bell contributed 18 points and 14 rebounds, leading Stonington past Ledyard, 56-22, in ECC Division II action. Miranda Arruda scored 18 points for the Bears (12-3, 6-0). Katie Krupansky had 11 points for the Colonels (4-11, 0-5).
• Freshman Sophia Boras had 12 points and 10 rebounds to pace St. Bernard past Wheeler, 44-25, in ECC Division IV. Emily Nelson scored 10 points for the Saints (6-9, 2-4). Annie Dussault led the Lions (4-11, 1-5) with 12 points.
• Kellie Nudd had 16 points and Bridget Anderson scored 15 as Bacon Academy beat Fitch 55-36 in an ECC Division II game. Charlotte Carney led Fitch (6-10, 1-5) with 12 points and teammate Nyseanah Ishmael scored 10. Nudd had eight rebounds for Bacon (11-4, 5-1).
• Samarie Delgado led Grasso Tech with six points in a 52-14 loss to Windham Tech. The Eagles fell to 1-13 overall.
• Julia Robert scored eight points with 17 rebounds and Geovanna Taitague added seven in Norwich Tech's 26-24 loss to Ellis Tech in the Connecticut Technical Conference. The Warriors fell to 4-11, 3-4.
• Wethersfield led 35-15 at halftime and went on to beat Waterford 61-30 in a nonleague game. Gaby Kramer and Marilyn Childs scored seven points each for Waterford (5-10).
Stories that may interest you
Athletes in 26 high school sports were celebrated Tuesday night at Lake of Isles, as The Day held its second Athlete of the Year Awards Banquet three years after the first due to the pandemic.
The Supreme Court has sided with a football coach from Washington state who sought to kneel and pray on the field after games