H.S. boys: No. 6 Waterford boys inch closer to fourth straight ECC division title
Waterford — Dylan Eckhart, Liam Spellman and Ryan O'Connell scored 14 points apiece as No. 6 Waterford moved a step closer to its fourth straight division title with an 84-49 win over Killingly in an Eastern Connecticut Conference Division II boys' basketball game on Friday night.
Payton Sutman scored 13 for the Lancers (16-1, 6-0) who can clinch the division with a win next week at Fitch. Spellman finished with a triple double, adding 10 steals and 10 rebounds.
In other games:
• Aedan Using had 21 points, 12 rebounds and five blocked shots as Old Lyme won its 11th straight game with a 63-56 non-league win over Bacon Academy. Ray Doll added 15 points for the Wildcats (14-1), including 10 in the fourth quarter when he went 4-for-5 from the foul line.
• Max Lee scored 17 points as St. Bernard defeated Griswold 45-29 in ECC Division III play. Cam Beaudet added 10 for the Saints (14-3, 6-0) who lead Stonington by a game in the division with two to play.
• Jacob Geary's 23 points and 17 rebounds helped Stonington to an 85-63 win over Windham in ECC Division III. Zach Scott had 20 points and nine rebounds, Marquis Jackson 20 points and R.J. Parilla 15 points and five assists for the Bears (12-5, 5-1).
• Sophomore Jabari Jones paced New London with eight points in a 55-31 loss to Amistad at Conway Gymnasium. The Whalers are 7-10.
• Daniel Brown scored 20 points as Grasso Tech defeated Vinal Tech 72-53 in the Connecticut Technical Conference. Luis Duran had 18 for the Eagles (5-13).
• Caitlin Shea scored 13 points and Kelly Nudd added 12 as Bacon Academy defeated Ledyard 44-35 in ECC Division II. Katie Krupansky had nine points and seven rebounds for Ledyard (6-13, 1-6) and Jade Langworthy had eight points.
• Miranda Arruda scored 18 points as Stonington rolled to a 72-30 win over Killingly. Zoe Ribeiro added 10 points and Sophia Bell had eight rebounds for the Bears (15-3).
• Maya Hillman had 19 points, 16 rebounds and five blocks as Montville defeated Wheeler 51-30 in ECC Division IV. Kara Beaupre had 17 points, 12 rebounds and five assists for Montville (11-8, 6-1). Sam Caster led Wheeler (5-13, 1-7) with 12 points.
• Sophia Boras scored seven points in St. Bernard's 23-19 loss to Tourtellotte in ECC Division IV. Amber Caldwell had 13 rebounds for the Saints (7-12, 2-5).
• Norwich Tech used a big third quarter to defeat Cheney Tech, 36-33, in the CTC. The Warriors (7-11, 6-4) outscored Cheney 15-8 in the third period. Geovonna Taitague led Norwich Tech with 17 points.
• Williams School won its third game of the week with a 51-26 win over Eagle Hill (Mass.). Olivia Kaplan scored 25 points for the Blues (5-8), including three 3-pointers, and Anna Mae Saunders added 10 as Williams built a 33-9 halftime lead and cruised in the second half.
Stories that may interest you
A look ahead at the Week 2 matchups involving local high school football teams.
There are times Jack Biggs, who coaches baseball and volleyball at East Lyme High School, thinks of asking Sophie Dubreuil, an outside hitter on the volleyball team, if she still has her baseball glove kicking around from her days as a Little League and Babe Ruth whiz kid.