H.S. softball: Waterford, Griswold share ECC D-II softball championship
Waterford — Rachel Miller and Maddie Burrows combined on a no-hitter with nine strikeouts as the Waterford High School softball team extended its winning streak to 12 games, trouncing Bacon Academy 20-0 in five innings Wednesday to clinch a share of the Eastern Connecticut Conference Division II title with Griswold.
Gina McKittrick had three hits, including two doubles, with five RBI for the Lancers (16-3, 7-1) while Regan Mazzulli had two hits, including a double, with four RBI. Also, Chloe McCue had two hits, including a double, with three runs, Riley Mazzella had two hits and three runs and Burrows had two hits, including a three-run home run, with four RBI.
In other games:
• Ariana Guinassi had three hits, including a double, and four RBI as St. Bernard pounded out 21 hits in its 15-12 win over Tourtellotte in an ECC Division IV game. Meghan Bergeron had three hits and four RBI for the Saints (6-9, 3-4) and Abby Whewell had three hits, including a double, and two RBI. Also, Bethany Chavez, Emily Nelson and Taina Quinones each had three hits.
• Ellie Hohlfedler and Allison Georgetti combined to pitch a two-hitter with seven strikeouts as Fitch edged Killingly 1-0. The Falcons (7-12) scored their only run when Hohlfedler's bunt single was thrown away allowing Meagan Giwoyna to scored from second.
• Hailee Schrader had four hits, including a double and a triple, as Norwich Free Academy topped Windsor 9-4. Sara Cote added two hits and Sophia DiCocco earned the pitching victory, striking out eight for the Wildcats (13-4).
• Joe Potter and Anaya Vega each had a hit in New London's 5-1 loss to Plainfield in ECC Division III. Caylee Parker registered her 100th strikeout of the season for New London (9-9, 2-6).
• Kat McQueeney went 2-for-3 and scored as Haddam-Killingworth edged Old Lyme 6-5 in the Shoreline Conference. Victoria Gage had two doubles and two RBI, Grace Lathrop went 3-for-4 and scored and Kassidy Standish went 2-for-3 for Old Lyme (10-6, 9-5).
• Maddy Stepski was 2-for-3 with a triple and two RBI and Colette Dreher 2-for-3 in Stonington's 13-4 loss to Griswold in an ECC Division II game. Stonington is 9-9 overall, 4-4 in the division.