H.S. roundup: Griswold softball edges Woodstock to avenge lone loss
Woodstock — Kaelin Waldron pitched a five-hitter with 13 strikeouts and homered Thursday as the Griswold High School softball team avenged its only loss with a 7-6 win over Woodstock Academy in an Eastern Connecticut Conference Division II game.
The Wolverines (9-1, 9-1), who lost to Woodstock (8-3, 7-1) six days ago, 1-0, overcame a 6-3 deficit with three in the sixth and scored the game-winner in the seventh when Lucia Ceccarelli had a leadoff double and scored on Mandy Brehler's single.
Sam Falco went 3-for-3 for the Wolverines and Ceccarelli, Brehler, Makayla Neilson and Andrianna Morabito had two hits apiece.
In other games:
• Maddie Burrows pitched a one-hitter with seven strikeouts as Waterford blanked Stonington 8-0 in ECC Div. I. Burrows also homered and scored three runs for the Lancers (8-0, 7-0), while Angela Colonis homered twice and Anna Dziecinny and Brynn Holmes had two hits apiece. Stonington is 2-4, 2-4.
• St. Bernard fell to Putnam 17-1 in an ECC Div.II game shortened to five innings. Arianna Guinassi went 1-for-3 with a double for the Saints (1-8, 1-8).
• Hailey Smith struck out 11 and Norwich Free Academy defeated New London, 9-2, in Div. I of the ECC. Madison Waltke hit a two-run homer for NFA (3-3, 2-2). Caylee Parker homered for New London (0-12, 0-11).
• Shailynn Williams went 3-for-3 with a home run and three RBI as Ledyard defeated Bacon Academy, 6-3, in ECC Div. I. Sara Rivers struck out eight for the Colonels (8-1, 8-1). Avi Ibrahimhad two hits for Bacon (3-6, 3-6).
• Bianca DaSilva won the 100-meter dash and ran a leg of the victorious 4X100 relay team with Emmerson Kaye, Calla Gilson, Emily DeRoehn as Old Lyme defeated Westbrook, 88-67, in the Shoreline Conference. Phia Adkins won the 3,200 and Emma Boardman won the high jump and javelin for the Wildcats.
• Morgan Tartaglia won the shot put, discus and javelin as Lyman Memorial defeated Griswold 116-28 in ECC Div. III. Leah Comeroski won the 100 and 200 for the Bulldogs (4-1, 3-0.). Griswold is 0-4, 0-3.
• Drew St. Louis set a school record in the pole vault (10 feet) as Old Lyme defeated Westbrook, 96-45, in the Shoreline Conference. Aidan Powers won the 1,600 for Old Lyme and George Williams won the 400.
• Tito Arias, Randy Vidal and Derek Nunez had two hits and two RBI apiece as Grasso Tech defeated Goodwin Tech 13-6 in the Connecticut Technical Conference. The Eagles led 9-0 after four innings.
• Daylan Griffin had five RBI as Lyman Memorial defeated Windham, 19-1, in ECC Div. II. Jason Cropley and Owen Zimnock had two hits apiece for Lyman (4-6, 4-6).
• Keyan Mayernick pitched a two-hitter with 11 strikeouts for Plainfield in its 10-2 win over Griswold in an ECC Division II game. Hayden LeClair scored three times for the Panthers. Evan Gilgenbach doubled for the Wolverines (4-6, 4-6).
• Logan Rolf shot a 36 to earn medalist honors as East Lyme remained unbeaten with a 7-0 ECC Division I win over Stonington. Matt Orefice added a 39, Max Caron a 42 and Dan Singer a 44 for the Vikings (7-0, 7-0). Justin Holland shot a 45 for the Bears (2-4, 2-4).
• Costas Kapilotis, Liam O'Neil and Max Weston won matches as NFA defeated New London 6-1 in an ECC Division I match at Great Neck Country Club. The Wildcats are 3-3, 2-2. Zach Stock shot a 40 to earn medalist honors and earn the only win for the Whalers (0-8, 0-7).
• Gavin Arruda fired a 43 to earn medalist honors and highlight Wheeler/Ledyard's 5.5-1.5 win over Fitch in an ECC Division I match at Stonington CC. Sam Taylor (47) also won for the Lions (2-7, 2-6) while Elliot Reese won for the Falcons (5-5, 4-5).
• Bacon Academy won the medal point total 193-209 to defeat Griswold 4.5-2.5 in an ECC Division II match at River Ridge GC. Lucas Hanley (medalist with a 44) and Matt Ladd won matches for the Wolverines (4-4, 3-3) while Bacon (3-1, 3-1) picked up wins from Connor Tuttle and John Ceruti.
• Wolcott Tech won a CTC tri-match at Stanley Golf Course with a medal total of 225, outlasting Goodwin Tech (238) and Grasso Tech (246). Nathan Sylvestre shot a low round f 51 for the Eagles (2-3, 2-3).
• Coginchaug's Colin Murphy shot a 41 to earn medalist honors and lead the Blue Devils to a 193-218 win over Old Lyme in a Shoreline Conference match at Lyman Orchards in Middlefield. Pat Flanagan shot a 49 to lead the Wildcats (4-4, 4-4).
• Woodstock defeated East Lyme 192-248 in an ECC match at Old Lyme CC. Julia Kahl shot a 55 for the Vikings (3-3, 3-3) and Sarah Healy added a 56.
• Norwich Tech fell to Wolcott Tech 25-9, 25-6, 25-12. Zach Morris and Connor Owen had three digs apiece for the Warriors.
Stories that may interest you
It wasn't too long ago that football scheduling in the Eastern Connecticut Conference was very contentious. Not anymore. The league has both its schedule and division alignment set for the 2021 season.