High school roundup: MacPherson's two-hitter propels Fitch baseball past Old Lyme
Groton — Charlie MacPherson pitched a two-hitter with five strikeouts Tuesday as the Fitch High School baseball team blanked Old Lyme 8-0.
Matt Robinson went 3-for-3 for the Falcons (15-4) and Trace Morales, Ryan O'Connor and Tate Scherer had two hits apiece.
Alex Roth and Jack Porter had hits for Old Lyme (9-9).
In other games:
• Jack Novak's three-run homer backed his six-hit pitching as Bacon Academy defeated Lyman Memorial 15-4. Luke Pennella hit two doubles for Bacon (16-2). Jacob Citro scored two runs for Lyman (14-4).
• Derrel Mitchell had three hits as New London defeated St. Bernard 7-2. Michael Germoso had three RBI for the Whalers (9-9). Bryce Morrissette had two hits, including a double, and a run scored for St. Bernard (8-10).
• Grasso Tech rode the offensive efforts of Jaivon Velez and Reynaldo Hidalgo to a 20-0 win over Prince Tech in a five inning Connecticut Technical Conference game on Monday. Velez was 4-for-5 with a double, home run, four RBI and four runs scored while Hidalgo hit a three-run homer and finished with four RBI and four runs for the Eagles (8-6).
• Dominic Pontbriant pitched a complete game with five strikeouts as NFA beat Griswold 8-4 on Monday. Bryson Plane and Anthony Sanchez were each 3-for-5 for NFA (5-12).
• Tucker Callahan won No. 1 singles 6-0, 6-1 as Stonington defeated Woodstock 7-0. Matthew Turrisi, Jackson Conlon, Chase Donnarumo and Conrad Tobiassen also won in singles for the Bears (10-4).
• East Lyme beat Lyman Memorial 7-0 on Monday. Daniel Sapozhnikov, Jiarui Peng, Benjamin Tan and Ethan Cummings won their matches for the Vikings (12-0).
• Paige Raposo won No. 1 singles as Norwich Free Academy defeated Montville 6-1. Emily Eggler, Katrina Hitchcock and Shayla Roche also won in singles for the Wildcats. Waterford also defeated NFA 7-0. Sarah Hage, Autumn Brothers, Michelle Lui and Ava Tinnerello won in singles for Waterford (10-5). NFA is 8-7.
• Julia Mielguj won No. 1 singles as Fitch defeated Lyman Memorial 7-0. Charlotte Beaulieu, Maddie Beaulieu and Fiza Shariff also won in singles for Fitch (9-4).
• East Lyme won a tri-meet, scoring 118 while Old Saybrook had 43 and Killingly had 15 points. Thomas Matlock won the shot put (46-5.5) and discus (129.7) for the Vikings (5-2) and teammates James Chekal, Kai Ritz, Sean McCauley, Brendan Fant, Chris Munzner, Nick Vogel and Nolan Whritenour also won events. Noah Colangelo of Killingly won the 100, 200 and high jump.
• Aldon Dawson won the 100 and the long jump as NFA defeated Bacon Academy 114-38. NFA is 4-0. Jayden Desilus and Glendon Dawson were also double winners for NFA, with Desilus winning the triple jump and high jump and Dawson taking the 100 hurdles and 400. Jake Martino won the discus and javelin for Bacon (4-3).
• East Lyme won a tri-meet, scoring 98.5 to Old Saybrook's 61.5 and Killingly's 26 points. Kayleigh Jensen, Caroline Daugherity, Sophia Seguin, Izzy Pazzaglia, Savannah Soleau, Sjodin Fedikovich, Lacey-Lee Keramidas and Lauren Hinckley won events for the Vikings (7-0).
• NFA defeated Bacon Academy 107-42. Jasmyn Bransford (100, 200, long jump) won three events for the Wildcats (2-2). Megan Braga won the high jump and the 100 hurdles for Bacon (6-1).
• Co-medalist Owen Lanuza shot 40 as Waterford defeated East Lyme 6-1 and NFA 5.5-1.5. The Lancers are 8-5. Tyler Moore also shot 40 for the Vikings (6-5, 4-1 ECC Division I).
• Wheeler defeated Valley Regional 194-211 at Stonington Country Club. Kieran Boscoe shot 46 to lead the Lions (7-4).
• North Branford defeated Old Lyme 181-196 in a Shoreline Conference match at Black Hall Country Club. Medalist Pat Flanagan shot 42 for the Wildcats (4-8, 4-8).
• Medalist Brandon Tavares shot 39 as Stonington defeated Bacon Academy in an ECC Division II match at Elmridge Golf Course. The Bears are 8-7, 3-2. Connor Tuttle shot 42 for Bacon (3-7, 0-5).
• Woodstock Academy defeated Fitch 4.5-2.5 in ECC Division I. Jack Kramer led the Falcons (4-7, 0-4) shooting a 38.
• Medalist Sarah Healey shot 52 as East Lyme defeated Waterford 7-0 in an ECC Division I match at Great Neck Country Club. East Lyme is 4-4, 4-2. Waterford is 1-3, 1-3.