Senseless is the wrong term to describe another mass shooting
Another mass shooting, this time in a California bar, and again reporters and commentators and politicians call the slaughter of humans by guns senseless. Senseless? I think not. It makes sense to me for the following.
1. It makes sense because of our country's long-standing love of guns and our tendency to solve disputes by violence, instead of compromise.
2. It makes sense because of the ability of too many people to acquire too many guns for no rational reason.
3. It makes sense because we have become used to mass-gun shootings in schools, malls, concert venues and other public places, just normal events in the U.S.A.
4. It makes sense because we have become numb to the daily one-at-a-time gun killings of citizens all around the nation that, now and then, for a 30-second segment on the local news, we might hear about.
5. It makes sense because we (not just Congress, but all of us) do not have the nerve or interest or stamina or attention spans to address objectively how this issue, in all its complex and interrelated, but (I hope) solvable ways might be able to be addressed.
Senseless? No. Understandable and fixable, if we want to do something substantive. It appears that we're not interested.
Frank T. Francisconi Jr.
Stories that may interest you
As the family members of military veterans, we hold a special place in our hearts for the parents, siblings, spouses and friends of those who served. We cannot help but think of all the men and women who fought for this great nation and did not return. While we are all guilty of...
New London is shocked, angry, and heartbroken to learn that trusted teachers, coaches, and administrators engaged in or allowed our children to be preyed upon and abused. Now that accountability is being demanded of the superintendent, Board of Education, and frankly anyone connected, it...
A gift horse has been led to our president. An opportunity exists for him to pay off our national debt and finance all the walls he wants to build. It would be so easy. Even though Attorney General Bill Barr has already published the Cliffs Notes version, having cherry-picked its...
I was blessed to give birth to a healthy baby girl many years ago. I know the joy that brings to a woman, especially when you first feel movement. I also know the sadness and depression that follows a miscarriage. I know that laws are being passed now to severely restrict abortion,...