Support Local News.

Please support our work by subscribing today.

Norwich Memories: The Hubbard-Slater Mansion

The Hubbard-Slater Mansion, circa 1890. In 1900 the state of Connecticut, along with other states, was asked to provide a building that represented the architecture of the time, for the 1904 St. Louis World’s Fair. Because the U.S. Postal Service was planning on building a new Post Office at this location, 340 Main St., the Hubbard-Slater Mansion needed to be removed.

The mansion was carefully dismantled, and the main parts of the structure were used to build the Connecticut Building entry for the World’s Fair. After the World’s Fair ended, the building was sold and moved from St. Louis to Indiana. Today the building is The Haan Museum of Indiana Art in Lafayette, Indiana.

Ken Keeley is the author of 13 pictorial books of Norwich history. To purchase any of his books he can be reached via FaceBook or e-mail at kenekjr000@comcast.net.

READER COMMENTS

Loading comments...
Hide Comments

TRENDING

PODCASTS