Local roundup: CGA rallies past Clark in volleyball
New London — Coast Guard Academy fought off five match points in the fourth set Tuesday and rallied for a 3-2 win over Clark in the New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference volleyball opener for both teams.
The Bears won 20-25, 25-19, 21-25, 27-25, 15-11 for their sixth straight victory.
Freshman Amanda Dake registered match highs with 18 kills and 31 digs, Angelou Dunton had 13 kills and 15 digs, Bridget Boyle finished with 12 kills and Maddie James had a career-high 11 kills for the Bears (9-1). Veronica Hine added 20 digs, Lauren Hatfield finished with 11 digs, Martin had a team-high 39 assists while Nikki Sefcik had a 23 assists for Coast Guard.
Clark appeared to be on its way to the win, leading Coast Guard 24-20 in the fourth set before the Bears fought of four straight match points to pull even at 24-24. Corina Picon had a kill to give Clark a fifth match point leading 25-24 before Coast Guard scored the final three to tie the match with a 27-24 win.
In other matches:
• Connecticut College lost to Salve Regina 25-17, 25-20, 25-19. Emma Hewlin had eight kills, Grace McGee had 16 assists and Dayna McCue had 11 digs for Conn (3-3).
• Conn College improved to 3-0 with a 4-1 win over Endicott. Ben Highton scored a pair of goals for the Camels while Liam Donelan and Liam Noonan added one goal apiece and Christian Murphy had two assists. Endicott is 1-4.
• Darion Richeme's goal with just 1:20 remaining lifted Western Connecticut to a 1-0 victory over Coast Guard. Richeme converted a free kick from about 25 yards out for the Colonials (4-1). East Lyme's William Bragaw played the first half in goal for the Bears (1-2-2) and stopped all four shots he faced.
• Vinal Tech defeated Grasso Tech 25-11, 25-13 and 25-19 in the Connecticut Technical Conference. Michelle Warren had three aces, four kills and four digs for the Eagles while Erin Blake added two kills and 10 digs and Samarie Delgado had eight digs, three kills and one block.
• East Hampton beat Old Lyme 25-15, 25-12, 25-21 in a Shoreline Conference match. Maddie Cann had five digs, two blocks and three aces and Katie Reid had four assists for Old Lyme (0-3).
MOST VIEWED MEDIA