Local roundup: Pagan leads No. 2 New London past Weaver
New London —Tai Pagan had 14 points, nine rebounds, five blocks and four steals as the New London girls’ basketball team topped Weaver on Tuesday night, 63-27, in an interconference game.
Xaryia Melendez had 12 points and 13 rebounds for the Whalers (15-2), ranked second in the GameTimeCT/New Haven Register poll. Joniyah Bland-Fitzpatrick added 12 points, four assists and four steals.
Terra Fair scored 13 for the Beavers (8-8).
In other games:
• Lily Kramer scored a career-high 15 points with 10 rebounds as Waterford rallied from an 11-point deficit to edge Windham, 46-44. Julianna Bonilla had 14 points and a game-ending block to ice the win for Waterford (6-12). Ceci Hunter had 16 points for the Whippets (11-7).
• Tajeah Winston chipped in 12 points and 12 rebounds in Ledyard's 35-27 win over Griswold. Katie Krupansky added nine points and six rebounds for Ledyard (6-12).
• Geovanna Taitague scored 17 and had 11 steals as Norwich Tech beat Grasso Tech 31-7 in a Connecticut Technical Conference game. Julia Robert had 14 rebounds and Ashley Williams had 11 steals for Norwich Tech (6-11, 5-4). The Eagles are 1-16, 0-9.
• JJ Brennan had 23 points, six rebounds and five steals as No. 6 Waterford blitzed Stonington in the first half of its 77-54 win. Liam Spellman had 16 points and 10 rebounds, Ryan O’Connell had 10 points and 10 rebounds, and Payton Sutman scored 10 for the Lancers (15-1), which outscored the Bears in the first half, 45-17. Marquis Jackson scored 16, Zach Scott scored 13, and RJ Parrilla scored nine for Stonington (11-5).
• D’Andre Williams scored 18 of his 22 points in the first half of St. Bernard’s 66-33 win over Bacon Academy. Joe Beltran scored 15 for the Saints (13-3) and Frank Pacheco scored 10. Casey Hart scored 17 for the Bobcats (0-16).
• Silus Wiggins scored 24 and Jacob Cortes added 15 points to lead Grasso Tech past Norwich Tech, 64-43, in the CTC. Luis Duran had 12 points for Grasso. Giovani Yeung led the Warriors with 14 points.
• Dan Estrin of Waterford won two events as the Lancers used their depth to beat Windham/RHAM/Coventry 92-86 in an ECC meet. Estrin won the 200-yard intermediate relay in 2:23.16 and the 100 butterfly in 1:06.22. Waterford (4-3, 4-3) only won one other event with Jason Blain taking diving (201.15 points). Ethan Kirkpatrick won two events for Windham (2-6, 2-6).
• Kelsey Hernandez scored 26 as Mitchell College beat Elms 74-65 in a New England Collegiate Conference game. Francesca Pinard had 12 points and 10 rebounds, Amina Wiley scored 18 and Le'Sandra Turner had eight assists for the Mariners (13-8, 12-2), who are tied for first place in the NECC with Becker.
• Waterford's Trevor Yeomans led the way with 22 points as Avery Point beat Benjamin Franklin Institute of Technology 72-55. John Domijan of Montville had 10 points and 14 rebounds, East Lyme's J.R. Gandenberger scored 15, Elijah Malboeuf-Boyd scored 10 and Mitchell Holdmeyer had 10 rebounds for the Pointers (8-16).
Stories that may interest you
Monday's local sports schedule
Jack Rutter and Jordan Foster scored seven goals each as the Connecticut College men's lacrosse team beat Colorado College 23-12 on Sunday.