Local roundup: Waterford edges East Lyme 1-0 in ECC D-I baseball game
Waterford — Jared Burrows doubled and scored the winning run on a throwing error in the bottom of the seventh to give Waterford a 1-0 victory over East Lyme in an Eastern Connecticut Conference Division I baseball game on Wednesday.
Ryan Bakken pitched a scoreless seventh inning to pick up the win for the Lancers (7-1, 3-0) after Burrows had pitched six shutout innings while allowing just three hits and striking out 11.
Trystan Levesque suffered the loss for the Vikings (4-3, 2-1), but pitched well. He went the distance, scattering four hits while striking out nine.
In other games:
• Nick Helbig pitched a two-hitter with eight strikeouts, and helped his cause by driving in two runs as Fitch beat Norwich Free Academy 4-0 in an ECC Division I game. Manish Rane-Castrodad went 3-for-3, including a double, and scored twice for the Falcons (3-3, 1-2). The Wildcats are 4-4, 0-3.
• Williams and St. Andrew's played to a 6-6 overtime draw. The Blues rallied from a two-goal deficit to tie the game in the fourth quarter on goals by Robbie Darling and Zain Alam, but neither team could score in OT. Darling had two goals, one assist and eight groundballs for Williams while Mark Sarwar scored twice, Sebastian Marshall added a goal and two assists and Harry Anselmi had two assists.
• Sophie Salgar had three goals and two assists as Williams rolled to a 14-2 win over St. Andrew's. Morgan Poll added two goals and three assists for the Blues while Rachel Luxton, Audrey Matson and Ellie Fader each scored twice, and goalie Maria Angelini made six saves.
• Julia Bates scored six goals and had two assists as East Lyme beat Branford 14-9 in a nonleague game on Tuesday night. Natalie Taylor had two goals and an assist, Abby Mountain scored twice, Anna Johnson had a goal and an assist and Maya Rose made eight saves for East Lyme (3-1).
• Old Lyme’s Jordan Warecke pitched a one-hitter with eight strikeouts as Avery Point routed Holyoke CC 12-1 in five innings. Waterford’s Alex Petchark went 2-for-3 with two runs and two RBI for the Pointers and New London’s Aidan Brennan had two hits, two runs, and an RBI. Also, Montville’s Seamus Barry had a single, two runs and two RBI and Brayden Cooney had a double, two runs, and an RBI.
• Connecticut College won five of six singles matches to beat Coast Guard Academy 6-3. Guillermo Garcia Rincon, Julian Tien, and Henry DeCoster won in straight sets for the Camels (7-7) and Will Cannon and Walter Komishane both won in three sets. Tom Hackett won at No. 1 singles for the Bears (6-7).
• Haley Howard scored three goals as Coast Guard outlasted Wellesley 10-7 in the New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference. Howard also had three draw controls for the Bears (5-9, 2-3) while Maddie Rizzuto had a goal and three assists and Etta Davis had one goal, one assists and team highs in cause turnovers (four) and ground balls (five).
• Springfield College built an early 5-1 lead before holding off Coast Guard 9-8 in a rematch of last year's NEWMAC tournament championship. The Pride (6-8, 3-1) ended the Bears' school record eight-game winning streak. Benner Geurtsen scored a pair of goals and Anthony Wyler added a goal and two assists for Coast Guard (10-3, 2-1). Goalie Trey Johnson made 11 saves for the Bears.
• Becker College swept Mitchell College 11-3 and 8-0 in a New England Collegiate Conference doubleheader. Laurissa Amaker drove in two runs in the opener for the Mariners (8-17, 1-7) while Madison Niczynski and Alex Lopez had hits for Mitchell in the second game.
Stories that may interest you
BASEBALL/SOFTBALLShoreline Sting softball — Looking for players to add to 18u, 16u and 14u teams. Contact: Ed Hobson (203) 530-3964.Jack Benny Softball League — Looking for players over 45 to play in league on Sunday afternoons from April to...