Local roundup: UConn men to play Buffalo in Charleston Classic
Storrs — The UConn men's basketball team will face Buffalo in the opening round of the 12th annual Charleston Classic on Thursday, Nov. 21, at TD Arena in Charleston, S.C.
The game will start at approximately 9:30 p.m. (ESPNU) and follow the opener between Xavier and Towson at 7.
The Huskies will face either Xavier or Towson on Nov. 22 (7 or 9:30) on Nov. 22, and following an off day on Nov. 23, they will play on Sunday, Nov. 24 against a team from the other side of the bracket — either Florida, St. Joseph's, Miami (Fla.) or Missouri State.
The Charleston Classic championship game is scheduled for 8:30 p.m. on ESPN.
In addition, UConn will host to St. Joseph's in a non-bracketed game of the tournament on Wednesday, Nov. 13, at either Gampel Pavilion or the XL Center.
Buffalo went 32-4 last season, won the Mid-American Conference championship and beat Arizona State in the opening round of the NCAA tournament before losing to NCAA finalist Texas Tech in the second round.
FCBL All-Star Game
• Two players with local ties have been selected to play in the Futures Collegiate Baseball League All-Star Game on Tuesday, July 16, at Wahconah Park in Weymouth, Mass. Montville's Buddy Dewaine (Central Connecticut) and East Lyme's Matt Malcom (Eastern Connecticut) were among the players chosen to play in the game, which begins at 7:15 p.m. Dewayne, a third baseman for the Bristol Blues, is batting .329 in 18 games with two goals and 10 RBI while Malcom, a catcher for the Pittsfield Suns, is hitting .346 with seven doubles, three home runs and 13 RBI.
District 10 LL baseball (10-12)
• Mystic advanced to Sunday's championship round with a 7-1 win over East Lyme. Trace Morales hit a two-run homer, doubled and was the winning pitcher, pitching a no-hitter for 5.1 innings while striking out 10. Liam Joyce had three hits, including a double, for Mystic.
• Mystic won its opening game on Wednesday night with a 6-2 win over Waterford. Winning pitcher Liam Joyce allowed two runs over 5.1 innings and struck out nine while Morales earned the save and added an RBI single. Griffin Pollard added two hits and two RBI for Mystic while Tito Kiefer had two hits for Waterford.
• East Lyme defeated Pawcatuck 3-2 in the opening round on Wednesday night. Ryan Wargo pitched five innings and struck out five to earn the win while Chris Cambi and Garrison Biggs each had RBI triples. Jace Wolfradt hit a home run for Pawcatuck.
State Intermediate baseball (11-13)
• New London/Mystic advanced to the championship round of the Connecticut Intermediate 50/70 tournament with a 15-0, four-inning win win over Cromwell in Middlefield. The District 10 representative will play unbeaten Coventry on Saturday at 7 p.m. and must win twice in the double-elimination tourney. Derrell Mitchell and Sidarth Bulusu combined to pitch a no-hitter. Bulusu also hit a grand slam while Landon Hill added a two-run homer.
• New London/Mystic defeated Trumbull 15-2 in an elimination game on Wednesday night and also defeated Enfield 13-3. Hill hit a grand slam against Enfield while Mitchell and Bulusu had three hits apiece, including a two-run homer by Mitchell
Black Wolves sign two
• The New England Black Wolves have signed Andrew Suitor and Dave Emala to one-year contracts. Suitor, a defenseman, returned to the Black Wolves last season and had three goals, four assists, 84 loose ball and 21 caused turnovers. Emala, a forward, had seven goals and six assists in seven games as a rookie last season.
Doubledays down Tigers
• Drew Ward had a double, a home run, five RBI and a run as the Auburn Doubledays downed the Connecticut Tigers 8-3 in a New York-Penn League game on Wednesday. Hector Martinez hit a bases-clearing double for the Tigers (12-13) and Jordan Verdon had two hits, including a double, and scored.
• Mystic scored a run in the top of the first to take an early lead, but New Bedford used a four-run fourth inning to go on top to stay in the Schooners' 6-1 loss. David Beam's (East Tennessee State) single scored Vincent Martin (UMass Lowell) with the lone run for Mystic (16-11). Justus Burke (Allen County CC) went 2-for-4 in the loss.
• Matthew Chamberlain (New Haven) went 3-for-4, including a triple, with two RBI and a run as the Martha’s Vineyard Sharks beat the Mystic Schooners 9-5 in a New England Collegiate Baseball League game on Wednesday night. Jerome Huntzinger (Seton Hall) had two hits and scored, Isaiah Byars (Alabama) had an RBI single and scored, and Montville’s TT Bowens (Central Connecticut) had a single and an RBI for the Schooners.
Zone 6 American Legion
• Bob Silva pitched a complete game and struck out five as Waterford defeated Danielson 9-1 on Wednesday night. Ben Jerome had two hits for Waterford (16-4) while Anthony Tonucci drove in two runs.
Stories that may interest you
Jillian Fugere pitched a four-hitter with nine strikeouts as Groton/Mystic opened play in the Little League state softball tournament (ages 8-10) with a 4-1 win over Preston/Jewett City on Sunday.
Nick Harrington captured his second Norwich Invitational title, beating Josh Cameron, 3 and 1, in the final at Norwich Golf Course. He also won in 2016.