Local colleges: Conn College edge Bowdoin 2-1 in NESCAC
New London — Mya Johnson's goal in the 56th minute snapped a 1-1 tie and lifted Connecticut College a 2-1 victory over Bowdoin College in a New England Small College Athletic Conference women's soccer game on Saturday afternoon at Freeman Field.
Johnson, a freshman from Old Lyme, leads the Camels (9-2, 4-2) with eight goals and 17 points (she has one assist), and the goal was her fifth game-winner of the season for Conn.
Bowdoin took a 1-0 lead just 2:24 into the match, but the Camels responded just 1:19 later on a header by Emily Lorry (Claire Williams and Zoe Stublarec assisted).
Conn held a 10-6 edge in shorts and goalie Katy Pelletier made two saves.
In other games:
• Sydney McLaughlin scored both goals as Babson beat Coast Guard Academy 2-0, handing the Bears their first New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference loss of the season. Freshman goalie Sarah Schollenberger made seven saves for Coast Guard (6-7, 4-1), which held a 15-14 edge in shots.
• Lindsey Fairbanks had three goals and an assist as Mitchell College rolled to an 8-0 nonleague victory over Medgar Evers. Michaela DeSena, J'Naya Kelly, Yasmine Mai Lei, Lindsey Robinson and Mariah Travisano also scored goals for the Mariners (4-7) while DeSena and Samantha Kasheta each added two assists apiece.
• MT Tshuma's goal just 1:20 into sudden death overtime gave Conn College a 1-0 victory over Bowdoin in the NESCAC. The Camels (7-1-2, 4-1-2) outshot the Polar Bears 22-7 and goalie AJ Marcucci made three saves for Conn to earn his second shutout of the season.
• Clark scored a pair of second-half goals to defeat Coast Guard 3-1 in the NEWMAC. Mike Daunt had given the Bears (7-6, 1-3) at 1-0 lead in the 30th minute when he scored his sixth goal of the season. Goalie Dakota Harich made seven saves for Coast Guard.
• Bowdoin rallied to beat Coast Guard 26-28, 25-12, 25-23, 25-23 in a nonleague match match. Freshman Noelle Tursky had a match-high 17 kills and 25 assists, Amanda Dake had 13 kills, Angelou Dunton had 12 kills, Veronica Hine had 29 digs and Makenna Martin had 22 assists for Coast Guard (14-6).
• Middlebury beat Conn College 25-18, 25-13, 25-11 in a NESCAC match. Grace McGee had 14 assists, Katie Howley had seven digs and Eliza Wolcott had six kills for Conn (6-10, 0-7).
• Mitchell's Evan Carney placed 13th overall at the James Early Invitational in Westfield, Mass. Carney, a Norwich Free Academy graduate, finished the 8k men's course in 29:14.97. In the women's race, Mitchell's Aizhane Glenn ran her fastest 5k time of the season (25.34.13).
• RPI scored five straight goals after spotting UConn an early lead en route to a 5-3 victory over the Huskies at the XL Center in Hartford. Chase Zieky scored a pair of goals for RPI (1-1) while Yan Kuznetsov, Vladislav Firstov and Jachym Kondelik each scored a goal for UConn (0-2-1).
Stories that may interest you
Organizers hope to start the CT Elite Baseball Association LLC. later this month to fill the void left by the Connecticut State American Legion cancelling its season due to COVID-19.
Lynn Valentine's condominium is on the top floor overlooking the 13th tee and the 16th fairway at Bear Lakes Country Club in West Palm Beach, Fla. It's fitting, as for the past 22 years Valentine has called Bear Lakes home.