Charges dropped against woman accused of assaulting Conway

ROCKVILLE, Md. (AP) — Prosecutors have dropped a criminal case against a Maryland woman who was charged with assaulting White House counselor Kellyanne Conway during a confrontation last year at a restaurant in a Washington suburb. 

A trial for Mary Elizabeth Inabinett, 63, of Chevy Chase, was scheduled to start Monday morning in Montgomery County, Maryland. Instead, a county prosecutor asked a judge to dismiss the charges.

Police had charged Inabinett last November with second-degree assault and disorderly conduct.

Conway told police she was attending a birthday party with her teenage daughter at a Mexican restaurant in Bethesda, Maryland, last October when she felt somebody grab her shoulders from behind and shake her. The woman who confronted Conway yelled, "Shame on you" and "other comments believed to about Conway's political views," according to a charging document prepared by Montgomery County police.

Conway wasn't injured, the document says.

Montgomery County Prosecutor Kathy Knight said Inabinett sent Conway a letter apologizing for the incident.

"She has apologized for choosing this time and place to vent her political views," Knight said. "That was inappropriate."

Knight noted Inabinett had never been arrested for a crime before.

Ramon Korionoff, a spokesman for the Montgomery County State's Attorney's Office said dropping the charges is "the best resolution for this particular set of circumstance."

Maraya Pratt, an attorney for Inabinett said she couldn't immediately comment.

In a CNN interview earlier this year, Conway said she was standing next to her middle school-aged daughter and some of her daughter's friends when the woman began shaking her "to the point where I thought maybe somebody was hugging me." She said it felt "weird" and "a little aggressive," so she turned around to face the woman.

"She was just unhinged. She was out of control," she said. "Her whole face was terror and anger."

Conway said she told President Donald Trump about the incident "long after" it happened. She said Trump asked her, "Are you OK? Is your daughter OK? Are the other girls OK?"

The restaurant's manager told police the woman who confronted Conway had to be forcibly removed from the premises. Conway told police the woman yelled and gestured at her for 8 to 10 minutes before she was escorted out of the restaurant. Conway's daughter provided officers with a short video clip and photograph of the encounter.

READER COMMENTS

Loading comments...
Hide Comments

Stories that may interest you

North Korea issued $2 million bill for comatose Otto Warmbier's care

The presentation of the invoice was extraordinarily brazen even for a regime known for its aggressive tactics.


Death toll lowered as Sri Lanka braces for more attacks

Sri Lanka on Thursday lowered the death toll from the Easter suicide bombings by nearly one-third, to 253, as authorities hunted urgently for a least five more suspects and braced for the possibility of more attacks in the coming days


Release approved for Coast Guard officer accused of terror

A federal magistrate says a Coast Guard lieutenant accused of being a domestic terrorist is entitled to be released from custody before his trial on firearms and drug charges


FBI, IRS raid Baltimore mayor's homes, offices

Federal agents raided the homes and City Hall offices of Baltimore's mayor amid dramatically widening investigations to determine whether she used bulk sales of her obscure self-published children's books to disguise kickbacks

TRENDING

PODCASTS