Police: Former Bacon Academy student made threat on Instagram

Nicolas Michael Burtis
Nicolas Michael Burtis

Colchester —Police arrested a former Bacon Academy High School student Tuesday after he allegedly made a threat related to his school via the social media platform Instagram.

According to police, officers launched an investigation into the teenager’s comments on Monday. Police said officers learned that town resident Nicolas Michael Burtis, 18, had implied there would be an active shooter situation at Bacon Academy just as there had been at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla.

According to police, Burtis admitted to posting the comments but said he had done it as a prank. Police determined he didn’t have firearms in his possession or easy access to firearms.

Police obtained a warrant for Burtis’ arrest and on Tuesday charged him with second-degree breach of peace. Held on a $5,000 surety bond, he was scheduled to appear Wednesday in Norwich Superior Court.

Burtis is one of multiple teenagers in the region whom police have arrested this month because of comments they made.

Last week, Ledyard police charged a 17-year-old with second-degree threatening and second-degree breach of peace after he allegedly said something along the lines of, "I could buy an AR-15."

Earlier this week, Old Saybrook police arrested a 17-year-old whose comments and actions concerned several parents and students. Police said while the comments didn't directly threaten any school campus in town, officials remanded the student to state custody and won't permit the student on school property until court and/or school officials deem it appropriate.

The teenager in that case is facing a charge of breach of peace.

READER COMMENTS

Loading comments...
Hide Comments