Cigarette ignited Stonington inn fire

Get the weekly rundown
Sign up to receive our weekly Legal Insider newsletter

Stonington — An investigation has determined that a cigarette blown by an air conditioner onto a bed ignited the fire that damaged three units at the Cove Ledge Inn and Marina on Route 1 early Sunday night.

Firefighters from Wequetequock and Stonington Borough responded to the 6:30 p.m. fire and quickly extinguished it. No one was injured.

Pawcatuck Fire Chief and Fire Marshal Kevin Burns said Tuesday that a guest visiting a person staying in one of the units had placed a lit cigarette in an ashtray on a bed. The breeze then blew the cigarette onto the bed. Burns said the unit sustained structural damage while two adjacent units sustained smoke damage.

j.wojtas@theday.com

READER COMMENTS

Loading comments...
Hide Comments

Stories that may interest you

Police logs - April 20, 2019

Arrests by state police and local departments around the region.


Police logs - April 19, 2019

Arrests by state police and local departments around the region.


Two condemned pit bulls remain in Norwich pound since 2013 awaiting judge's ruling

Oral arguments were held Thursday in New Britain Superior Court in dog owner Sheri Speer's appeal of the destruction order.


Rabid bobcat euthanized after attacks on golfer, horse

A golfer used his club in self-defense when a bobcat "came out of nowhere" and attacked him Thursday morning at the Mohegan Sun Golf Course, a club official said.

TRENDING

PODCASTS