Police connect 15 people to New Year’s Day knife fight at Foxwoods
Mashantucket — With three new arrests this month and two more pending, tribal police have connected 15 people to a knife fight at Foxwoods Resort Casino that left one man critically injured New Year’s Day.
Arrested in the past two weeks were Jaloni Gilbert, 19, of New London; Andre D. Kirkwood, 21, of Taftville, and Shawn Brown, 21, of New London.
Police charged Gilbert with criminal attempt to commit second-degree assault, second-degree breach of peace, second-degree riot and second-degree reckless endangerment. Kirkwood was charged with interfering with a police officer and breach of peace, and Brown with second-degree assault, second-degree reckless endangerment and breach of peace.
Police said the large fight began in the Fox Tower Garage shortly after 1 a.m. and spilled into the casino near the Centrale Bar. Three people were stabbed, including one who initially was in critical condition at Hartford Hospital from two stab wounds to the abdomen, police said.
Police said they have a warrant pending for a 17-year-old who is in custody in Pennsylvania for allegedly violating his probation. The warrant won’t become valid until he’s released from custody.
Police also have a warrant pending for one more man they believe was involved in the fight.
Police have not yet indicated what might have motivated the brawl.
Other arrests made so far include:
- Elijah Clinton-Rivera, 21, of New London, who was charged with breach of peace, interfering with an officer and possession of less than a half-ounce of marijuana
- Kwane Baines, 21, of Norwich, who was charged with breach of peace and interfering with an officer
- Ramel Pires, 21, of Norwich, who was charged with creating a public disturbance
- Yaseen Dannett, 20, of New London, who was charged with breach of peace and interfering with an officer
- Dante Johnson, 21, of New London, who was charged with breach of peace
- Kevin Shan, 19, of New London, who was charged with first-degree assault, breach of peace and criminal violation of a protective order
- Elisjsah Vessells, 19, of New London, who was charged with creating a public disturbance
- Ronald Whitfield, 26, of Groton, who was charged with third-degree assault and breach of peace
- A boy, 17, of Norwich, who was charged with criminal attempt to commit first-degree assault, second-degree assault, breach of peace and second-degree riot
- A boy, 17, of Norwich, who was charged with criminal attempt to commit first-degree assault, breach of peace and second-degree riot
Police said Shan and both teenagers remain in custody. The others have been released on various bonds.
Stories that may interest you
City police are searching for a person of interest after finding two incendiary devices outside of a Granite Street home early Thursday morning.
A five-car, chain-reaction crash Wednesday afternoon damaged all five vehicles and caused suspected minor injuries.