Judge denies bond reduction in Norwich aggravated child rape case
A New London Superior Court judge denied a request Monday to reduce the bond for a Norwich man charged with sexually assaulting two young boys.
Nathan Malave-Rodriguez, 33, is being held in lieu of $500,000 on two counts of aggravated first-degree sexual assault, third-degree sexual assault and two counts of risk of injury to a minor.
His attorney, Kevin Barrs, admitted the allegations are disturbing, but said he has not yet received any evidence to prove them. He said he was waiting for the results of forensic interviews of the alleged victims.
"The warrant only has the victims saying this happened," Barrs said.
Bail Commissioner Chris Manavas said a substantial bond is warranted in the case. He said Malave-Rodriguez, who is married with dependent children, had worked at Mohegan Sun for 12 years as a supervisor and for the past seven months had been doing cleaning work at Foxwoods Resort Casino.
Prosecutor Theresa Anne Ferryman said the case was serious and involves two alleged victims, both of whom were minors. Police said the two boys described similar incidents involving Malave-Rodriguez and each was unaware that the other was making a complaint.
Judge Hillary B. Strackbein kept the bond the same, noting that if convicted, Malave-Rodriguez faces 20-year mandatory minimum sentences on each of the aggravated sexual assault cases. She continued the case to July 25.
According to an arrest warrant affidavit, police were called to The William W. Backus Hospital in July 2018 for a complaint involving an 8-year-old boy. The child's mother noticed something was wrong with him and he eventually disclosed that Malave-Rodriguez had sexually assaulted him on a number of occasions. A second alleged victim, now in his teens, came forward to allege that Malave-Rodriguez sexually assaulted him over a seven-year period, beginning when he was 7 years old, according to the warrant.
Confronted with the allegations by Norwich Police detective Ryan D. Kelsey, Malave-Rodriguez denied them. He agreed to take a polygraph exam, but when contacted for the polygraph two days later said he had an attorney who told him not to take the test and not to talk to police without the attorney present.
Stories that may interest you
An East Lyme engineer who was charged with disorderly conduct after police said he engaged in threatening behavior at Town Hall was granted entry Tuesday into a diversionary program that enables him to clear his record of the charge.
New London Mayor Michael Passero and Finance Director David McBride are members of a newly-formed commission to explore ways of providing property tax relief statewide.
Jason Catala was charged additionally with witness tampering Tuesday when he appeared in New London Superior Court on identity theft charges and applied for a diversionary program.
The Norwich Fire Department and Norwich Public Utilities blocked off North Main Street and evacuated several homes and businesses after discovering a “significant” gas leak in a line beneath the street Monday afternoon.