Norwich man sentenced in 2018 arson case
A Norwich man who was charged with arson after setting his home on fire in 2018 was sentenced Wednesday in New London Superior Court.
David Mixon, 55, was found guilty of two counts of reckless burning and was sentenced to a suspended seven-year sentence and three years of probation by Judge Hillary B. Strackbein.
Mixon was charged in December 2019 with two counts of first-degree arson, first-degree reckless endangerment and two counts of criminal mischief for setting fire to his home at 20 Stanley St., Norwich, in August 2018, according to the Norwich Police Department.
No one was injured in the fire, police said.
Judge Strackbein on Wednesday sentenced Mixon to two consecutive sentences totaling seven years, both suspended, and three years of probation. Protective orders for two people were also issued against Mixon and the judge ordered him to pay any restitution that was owed as a result of the fire.
Mixon appeared in court with his brother, with whom he has been living. He had been held in prison for several months as his case was pending, according to State's Attorney Thomas M. DeLillo, before being released with an ankle monitor due to health concerns amid the COVID-19 pandemic. Mixon is disabled and has been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis, his attorney said.
Mixon, who had no criminal history prior to the fire, agreed to the terms of his probation and told the judge “you’ll never see me in here again, I promise you.”
He was directed to Norwich Superior Court to begin his probation Wednesday.
Stories that may interest you
A man who is charged in a shooting that left another man dead last summer in Norwich appeared virtually in court in New London on Friday afternoon.
New London restaurant owner Joshua Feldman was sentenced to four years of probation on Wednesday for drug distribution.
No arrests have been made in the death of a teen from New London last week, but community members have raised more than $21,000 to help the boy's family.