Red Sox expect full participation as training camp begins this week
As some players across baseball have begun to opt out of the 2020 season due to concerns over the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, the Red Sox still expect full participation when training camp begins at Fenway Park this week.
Chief baseball officer Chaim Bloom said last week that he expects all players to report Wednesday for intake testing before the first day of workouts Friday at Fenway, and manager Ron Roenicke said the same on a Zoom call Monday.
"I don't know any of our guys who are on the fence about playing," Roenicke said. "They've told me that they're ready to go. Is there a couple guys that are concerned? Yeah, there is. But as far as I know, what they've told me from today, yesterday, the day before, that I expect everybody to come in."
Roenicke said the Red Sox held a team meeting over Zoom on Saturday, and the manager said some players spoke up to emphasize personal responsibility as they return to Boston.
"I think we've got enough veteran leadership that when we're on the road or home, they'll direct the guys the right way and also realize that when you're young and you think you're invincible, that you do things a little bit different," Roenicke said. "So hopefully we'll address this enough where guys know and hey, they have a responsibility, not just to themselves and staying healthy, but they can bring this virus in and give it to other guys, so they know how important it is and hopefully enough to where we're going to stay pretty clean as a team."
Stories that may interest you
Six years after spurning a possible $1 million payday to play baseball so he could pursue his passion for football, Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes struck gold with a record-breaking 10-year contract worth as much as $503 million
As Major League Baseball attempts to salvage the 2020 season, behavior away from the ballpark will help determine the outcome
As baseball nears the two-week countdown to the start of its delayed season, the coronavirus pandemic continues to keep more players off the field
A number of positive coronavirus tests and some postponed games mark the opening of the MLS is Back tournament starting Wednesday in Florida
All of our stories about the coronavirus are being provided free of charge as a service to the public. You can find all of our stories here.