Local college roundup: McMillion runs for five TDs as Coast Guard wins 66-28
Paxton, Mass. — Spencer McMillion ran for five touchdowns and 285 yards as the Coast Guard Academy football team overpowered Anna Maria 66-28 on Saturday.
McMillion, a senior, scored on a 10-yard run in the first quarter, an 11-yard run in the second quarter and had scoring runs of 4, 2 and 3 yards in the second half. He had 43 carries and also caught three passes for 55 yards.
Anna Maria (2-1) took a 7-0 lead before the Bears (2-2) scored twice for a 14-7 lead after one quarter and had a 28-14 halftime lead. Coast Guard outscored Anna Maria 24-7 in the third quarter to take control.
Joey Armentrout completed 17 of his 28 passes for two touchdowns and 230 yards and also ran for a touchdown. Broock Desta caught five passes for 97 yards and two touchdowns.
Tafari Wall caught a 38-yard touchdown pass from Dennis O’Shea in the fourth quarter to close out Coast Guard’s scoring.
Ethan Lasher had two interceptions, Conner McGuire made nine tackles and Garrett Bragg had eight tackles while Tyler Jones had a pair of sacks and Connor Healy had an interception.
Coast Guard kicker Finnegan Hall made all nine of his extra point attempts and kicked a 23-yard field goal.
• Coast Guard won the fifth game 15-10 to pick up a 3-2 win over Wheaton in a New England Women’s and Men’s Athletic Conference match. Noelle Tursky led the Bears (10-4, 1-2) with 22 assists, 15 digs and eight kills. Shannon Shaw had 17 digs and 13 kills, Maeve Duffin had 17 assists and eight digs, Carmen Zipf had 18 digs and Elizabeth Atkinson had nine kills for Coast Guard, which won 20-25, 25-19, 25-22, 21-25, 15-10.
• Connecticut College went 1-1 at Eastern Connecticut State, beating Southern Maine 3-0 before losing to the hosts 3-1. Natasha Shrivastava had 49 assists, Julia Dailey had 27 digs and Christina Leduc had 18 kills for Conn (5-2).
• Jude Sargent scored twice as Coast Guard beat Clark 3-0 in a NEWMAC game. John DiTommaso had a goal, John Flood and Casey Savage had assists and John Vaaler made two saves for the unbeaten Bears (6-0-1, 1-0-1).
• Mitchell College lost to John Jay 6-0 in a nonleague game. Gemma Landry made nine saves for Mitchell (2-4-1). Brooke Fontaine scored twice for John Jay (4-1-2).
• Babson scored three second-half goals and beat Coast Guard 3-0 in a NEWMAC game. Emily Scharnitzky made eight saves for the Bears (4-3, 1-1).
• Conn College lost to Ramapo 2-0 in a nonleague game. Abby Ragland scored for the Camels (2-4) with an assist from Chloe Therrien. Sophie Moniz made five saves for Conn.