H.S. cross country roundup: Griswold boys remain undefeated
Griswold – Michael Strain finished first overall in 15 minutes, 53 seconds Tuesday, keeping the Griswold High School boys’ cross country team undefeated with a 21-34 win over Ledyard in an Eastern Connecticut Conference Division II meet.
Lucas Strain was second overall and Jacob Strain fourth for Griswold (6-0, 3-0).
Hayden Barber was third overall for Ledyard (3-3,1-1).
In other meets:
• Dylan Horkey, Jack Breher and Nicholas James finished second through fourth respectively as Montville defeated Stonington 22-39 in ECC Div. III. Montville is 3-1, 3-0). Ryan Gruczka (16:20) finished first overall for Stonington (0-5, 0-3).
• Winner Brendan Reas finished in 18:53 leading Bacon Academy past Killingly 17-45 in ECC Div. III. Carson Brown and Ryan Moores were second and third respectively for the Bobcats (5-1, 2-1).
• Tyler Collins finished seventh overall and was Grasso Tech’s top finisher in a 15-50 loss to Ellis Tech in the Connecticut Technical Conference.
• Winner Maya Suarez (20:37) helped Montville defeated Stonington 26-29 in ECC Div. III. Jaisey Galvin and Sage Gressly also finished in the top five for Montville (3-1, 3-0). Peyton Vanderstreet finished second overall for the Bears (2-2, 1-1).
• New London freshman Olivia Crane-Benjamin finished second in a race against Plainfield, Putnam and Tourtellotte. None of the four teams have five runners to team scores were not kept. Crane-Benjamin’s time was 27:10. Isabella Cribby of Plainfield won with a time of 26:37.
• Tess Matthieu (21:38) finished first overall as Bacon Academy defeated Killingly 19-32 in ECC Div. II. Emma Cote, Melinda McKenzie and Catie Field all finished in the top five for Bacon (4-2, 1-2).
• St. Bernard beat Wheeler, 25-30, in an ECC Division IV meet. The Saints are 2-2, 1-1. Kaitlyn Kumpf (22:15) and Lucy Smith (24:15) finished first and second, respectively for Wheeler (2-3, 2-1). Also, Carissa Browne was fifth (26:33), Rose Tardiff ninth (29:55) and Kiara Korten 10th (30:02).