Local roundup: Old Lyme tops Norwich Tech in volleyball
Old Lyme – Old Lyme swept Norwich Tech in a nonleague volleyball match on Wednesday, winning 25-8, 25-12, 25-19.
Grace Phaneuf had 10 assists and four aces, Sydney Siefken had five kills and five aces and Kelly Sheehan had five kills for Old Lyme (3-7). Kaylee Gray had four kills and six digs and Caitlyn Flynn had 10 digs for Norwich Tech (6-5).
In other matches:
• Bella Ditmore had 37 assists as Fitch beat Plainfield 3-1. Annalyn Cahill had 30 kills and six aces and Tessa Cantone and Madi Aldinger combined for 36 digs for the Falcons (6-5), who won 20-25, 25-10, 25-16, 25-19.
• Bacon Academy swept Montville 25-4, 25-23, 25-16. Kiera Stewart had seven assists and three kills, Dominique Sanchez had six digs and Gabrielle Papale had four kills and six assists for Bacon (6-6). Ava Collins had two aces and two kills, Karla Flores had four digs and two kills and Mackenzie Payne had nine digs for Montville (4-8).
• Wheeler swept Ellis Tech in a nonleague match, winning 26-24, 26-24, 25-18. Anna Ruggeri had six aces and 10 assists, Abby Butremovic had 20 digs and Skyler Morgan had six aces for Wheeler (7-4).
• NFA beat Killingly 3-1. Katelyn Friday had seven digs, five kills and three aces, Ella Bean had 10 assists, three kills and three digs, Evelina Kylukin had eight aces and two kills and Stella Hogan had six kills and six digs for the Wildcats (3-6).
• Griswold remained unbeaten with a 25-11, 25-8, 25-17, win over Sport Sciences. Kuranda Ruggiero had 13 assists, five kills, seven aces and seven digs for the Wolverines (9-0). Griswold also got five blocks from Kierra Neilson, three aces from Illah Marsh and three kills from Katelyn Pasieka.
H.S. boys’ soccer
• Louis Hawkins had two goals an an assist as NFA beat Waterford 4-0. Rood Apolon and Evan Casola had goals and Dante Guarnaccia, Logan Jenkins and Griffin Chapel had assists for NFA (5-2-1), which scored all its goals in the first half. Waterford is 5-3.
• Peyton Luther’s goal lifted Ledyard to a 1-0 win over Old Lyme in a nonleague game. Aidan Acor made five saves for Ledyard (4-5-1) and Jonah Lathrop made eight saves for Old Lyme (3-4-2).
• New London lost to Killingly 4-1 on Tuesday night. Niko Churis scored the goal for New London (0-7).
H.S. girls’ soccer
• Montville and Old Saybrook played to a scoreless tie on Tuesday night. Katie Myjak made eight saves for Montville (4-3-1).
H.S. girls’ cross country
• St. Bernard beat host Lyman Memorial 15-50 in an ECC Division III meet on Tuesday and picked up a 25-30 win over Wheeler. Wheeler (3-3) also beat Lyman 15-50. Hazel DeLucia of Lyman (1-4, 1-2) won the race in a time of 21:04. Helena Coury of St. Bernard (3-2, 1-1) was second at 22:09, Kaitlyn Kumpf of Wheeler (22:15) was third, St. Bernard’s Mia Klewin was fourth (23:03) and Kayla Osga of Lyman was fifth (23:41).
• Ledyard beat Griswold 15-43 in an ECC Division II meet on Tuesday. Kate Littler and Ella Stephenson of Ledyard (4-2, 2-0) tied for first place in 20:29. Rounding out the top five were Ledyard’s Josephine Withbroe (21:07), Avery Widlicka (21:13) and Samantha Doran (22:32). Laila Bakshalizadeh of Griswold (0-5, 0-3) was sixth in 23:30.
H.S. boys’ cross country
• Host Lyman Memorial (5-0, 3-0) beat St. Bernard 15-50 in an ECC Division III meet on Tuesday and beat Wheeler 25-34. Wheeler (3-3) beat St. Bernard (0-4, 0-2) 15-50. Wheeler’s Ethan Sweet won in 19:26 followed by Maddox Roan of St. Bernard (20:18), Trevor Scarchilli of Wheeler (20:41) and Lyman’s Ryan Spellman (20:46) and Hunter Sanchez (21:02).
• Katherine Randall had 10 kills and 14 digs for Conn College in its 25-21, 25-17, 25-21 win over Mitchell on Tuesday night. Lauren Carey had 31 assists for Conn (6-6) and Riley Lord added 16 digs. Claire Binfield had 24 assists and 10 digs, Olivia DeLoach had 13 kills and 15 digs and Julia Lent had 14 digs for the Mariners (8-5).
• Noelle Tursky had 20 assists, 10 digs and six kills in Coast Guard’s 25-13, 25-17, 25-13 win over Mount Holyoke in a NEWMAC match on Tuesday night. Kaela France had 21 digs and five aces, Shannon Shaw had 12 kills and seven digs and Maeve Duffin had 11 assists for the Bears (12-4, 2-2).
• John DiTommaso had two assists as Coast Guard blanked Wesleyan, 2-0, to win its first NEWMAC game of the season on Tuesday night. George Ackling and Andrew Ferderer scored for the Bears (7-1-2, 1-1-1).