Local roundup: East Lyme rowing takes total points title at public school championships
New Preston – East Lyme won the total points trophy at the Connecticut Public School Racing Association championships on Sunday at Lake Waramaug.
It’s the first time the Vikings have won the honoro, which is for placing highest in races throughout the day.
The girls' first varsity champion boat won the Comb's Trophy over Glastonbury, Simsbury, Stonington, Farmington, and Guilford. The boat consists of coxswain Kaylyn Wojcik and rowers Sarah Long, Darby Farragher, Gabby Gottschall, Sandra Kirvelevicius, Fiona Samuelson, Katie Whewell, Ava Mauri and Sara Muller. The girls' second and third boats were second and the novice crew finished first.
The East Lyme boys' first varsity boat was second, two seconds behind Simsbury, and ahead of Stonington, Farmington, Glastonbury and Guilford. The boys' first varsity is coxswain Jack Wojcik and rowers Aiden Minogue, Devin Minogue, Oliver McCoy, Zane Cappon, Darius Kirvelevicius, Rowan Wilson, Kai Jolly-Ballantine and Jonathan Kwak. Boys’ second was fifth and novice was second.
• Jace Wolfradt had three hits and Alex Starr drove in three runs as Stonington beat Westerly 7-5. Grayson Dull had two hits and drove in two runs, Aaron LoPresto, Nick Cannella, Finnegan Eck and Alex DePerry had two hits each and Wolfradt doubled and scored twice for the Bears (12-8). Starter David Duguay got the win.
Noah Burdick had two doubles, Jack Tenuta was 3-for-4 with two RBI and scored twice and Drew Bozek had two hits for Westerly (9-10).
• Dylan Meyer pitched a four-hitter to lead Fitch to a 2-0 win over North Kingstown, R.I. Meyer struck out nine with no walks. Tommy Rogers drove in a run and Trace Morales and Dom Zuliani scored runs for the Falcons (11-9).
• Plainfield’s Adam Geragotelis hit an RBI single with two outs in the bottom of the eighth inning to give the Panthers a 9-8 win over New London. The game was suspended by rain on Saturday in the top of the sixth inning. Darius Aquino had three hits and drove in five runs and Eddie Torres singled, doubled and scored twice for New London (8-12. Tyler Navan and Geragotelis had two hits each for Plainfield (13-6).
• Garrett Lenihan and James Main combined to pitch a two-hitter as Wheeler beat Ledyard 6-0. Lenihan got the win, allowing a hit over four innings with seven strikeouts and one walk. Main allowed a hit over the last three innings with three strikeouts. Main was also 3-for-3 with a double and two RBI. Bradin Anderson had a triple for Wheeler (13-6). Ledyard ends the season at 2-18.
H.S. girls’ lacrosse
• Williams School lost to host Wooster School 19-5 in the Housatonic Valley Athletic League tournament final on Saturday. Skyler Frost had two goals, an assist and five ground balls, Lucy Fader had a goal, three draw controls and three ground balls, Ally Iacobellis had two goals and four ground balls and goalie Phoebe Taylor made 18 saves and had three ground balls. The Blues finish their season at 6-9.
Comment threads are monitored for 48 hours after publication and then closed.