Connecticut officials expect influx of students from quake-hit Puerto Rico
HARTFORD (AP) — State education officials said Monday they're ready to help Connecticut school districts handle an expected influx of students displaced by the earthquakes in Puerto Rico.
The Connecticut State Department of Education issued a statement saying the agency will provide “any guidance and programmatic technical assistance" local districts may need, such as training in trauma-informed education and the best strategies for helping new students who are English learners.
“We will also work closely with the governor's office, the legislature, and members of Connecticut's congressional delegation to identify and advocate for state and federal funding to ensure districts will be able to obtain fiscal support — as it becomes available — in order to cover the costs of serving and educating this new population,” read the statement.
Connecticut received a large influx of students from Puerto Rico after Hurricane Maria ravaged the island in 2017. The state has a large population of people of Puerto Rican descent.
Stories that may interest you
Connecticut regulators have proposed a $30 million fine for Eversource and a $2.1 million fine for United Illuminating for what officials call the utilities’ failures in their preparation and response to Tropical Storm Isaias
Documents obtained by The Associated Press show a New Hampshire man now charged with holding down a teenage boy during a rape at a youth detention center had been fired years earlier
Rhode Island is fast approaching its goal of getting 70% of the eligible population at least one dose of a coronavirus vaccine
Connecticut’s Department of Correction says it has launched an internal investigation into the discovery of a fake report at the Cheshire Correctional Institution that mocks a Muslim prison guard