- 2016 Elections
- Special Reports
- Maps & Data
- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
Manchester - Jeff Robbins allowed just two hits over 4 1/3 innings as Montville edged previously unbeaten Cheney Tech of Manchester, 2-0, in a nonleague baseball game Friday night.
Joseph Brachas relieved Robbins and finished the game, striking out four to earn the save for the Indians (7-2). Brandon Haas went 2-for-3 with two RBIs, driving in Buddy Dewaine and Brachas.
In other games:
• Colin Harrington went the distance, pitching a two-hitter in Waterford's 10-1 win over Valley Regional. Jesse Coates had a single, home run and three RBI while Jordan Hamler had two hits and three RBI and Seth Hoagland added two hits and two RBI for the Lancers (8-2).
• Providence Country Day defeated St. Thomas More 11-0 in the SENE. The Chancellors (0-6, 0-2) had just one hit, a single by Dan Li.
• Edgar Centeno had two hits and three RBI in Grasso Tech's 17-6 loss to Putnam in the Constitution State Conference. The Eagles fell to 4-6.
• Stonington's Sam Ognisty and Arian DePietro each shot 40 to share medalist honors as the Bears defeated Wheeler 7-0 at Stonington Country Club. Wheeler also lost to Fitch, 6-1. Luke Teixeira shot a 45 to lead Fitch (5-1) while Tyler Primett shot a 46 for Wheeler (1-6). Stonington is 5-1.
• Ledyard's Mitchell Allen earned medalist with a 42 as the Colonels defeated Waterford 6.5-.5 in the ECC Medium Division at Great Neck Country Club in Waterford. Mike Graff (44), Dave Eichelberg (45) and Coltin Day (48) also won matches for the Colonels (5-1, 3-1) while Mike Martin halved his match with Waterford's Mitch Mirabito (each shot 45). Waterford is 2-3, 1-3.
• Nick Kamireddy shot a 3-over-par 39 on the front nine at Mohegan Sun Country Club as NFA beat Woodstock Academy 7-0 in the Eastern Connecticut Conference Large Division. Billy Wallace added a 43 for the Wildcats (3-0, 3-0) while Justin Bohara and Frankie Lee each shot 43 and Brenden Sullivan shot a 46.
• Jose Garcia won the 100 (11.0 seconds) and high jump (5-foot-10) in New London's 75-75 tie with East Lyme in the ECC Large. Orrin Parke took first in the 200 (22.8) and 400 (51.3) while David Perry won the shot put (35-2) and discus (96-7), and Nico Ramos won the long jump (19-9) for the Whalers (1-2-1, 0-1-1). New London also placed first in the 4x100 and 4x400.
Winners for the Vikings (2-1-1, 0-0-1): Dan Gage, 110 hurdles, 16.4, 300 hurdles, 43.9; Ben Ostrowski, 1,600, 4:41.1; Scott Butler, 800, 2:05.8; Andrew Handfield, 3,200, 10:55.3; Niko Mazzella, triple jump, 34-7; Kevin Kwon, pole vault, 10-6; and Jeremy Siborg, triple jump, 137-0.
• Gianna Folz finished first in the 100 hurdles (15.6) and triple jump (31-3), pacing East Lyme past New London, 110-36, in the ECC Large. The Vikings (4-0, 2-0) swept the relays while they also received first places efforts from Kristin Thompson (1,600, 5:32), Kayla Fabian (long jump, 14-9), Jessie Kenney (300 hurdles, 50.0), Devin Perez (high jump, 4-8), Kelsey Shunkis (shot put, 32-1), Lenee Oshsner (discus, 66-10), Jenna Schumacher (javelin, 102-7), Eva Christensen (800, 2:30.5) and Emilie Farrugia (pole vault, 9-0).
Francine Jacque took first in the 100 (12.9), 200 (27.0) and 400 (61.5) while Enna Pierce won the 3,200 (15:44) for the Whalers (1-3, 0-2).
• Joey Mitchell scored two goals and Steven Makowicki added a goal and an assist in Norwich Free Academy's 9-3 loss to Southington. The Wildcats fell to 1-8.
Women's water polo
• Connecticut College fell to Brown 17-6 in the opening round of the Collegiate Water Polo Association Eastern Championship at Ann Arbor, Mich. Nicky Jasbon and Sam Pierce scored two goals each and Kate Jacobson and Isabelle Baneux also scored for Conn (15-7).