H.S. soccer: Waterford girls edge Lyman Memorial 1-0
Waterford — Khay Hatcher scored with 20 minutes left in regulation off a Claudia Blazquez assist to help the Waterford girls' soccer team stave off Lyman Memorial 1-0 on Friday night on opening night of the high school fall sports season.
Skyler Henry had one save for the Lancers, who outshot the Bulldogs, 16-1.
In other games:
• Bria Fielding scored a pair of goals as New London opened its season with a 3-1 non-conference win over Grasso Tech. The Whalers were also recipients of an own goal while Elianny Castillo and Jaelynn Potter shared time in goal and each made two saves.
• Ledyard received goals from Kate English, Lexi Laperle, Stephanie Vetrano and Shelby Olsen in a 4-2 season-opening non-conference win over Haddam-Killingworth.
• Kaylee Jackson scored four minutes into the second overtime, lifting Tourtellotte past Stonington 4-3 in a season opener. Kate Johnson, Megan Detwiler and Rachel Sabbadini had goals for the Bears and Emma Sabbadini added an assist.
• Cole Dirico scored 45 seconds into the season opener and added an asssist as Ledyard beat Metro Learning Center 5-1. Ian Kamperschroer had a goal and an assist while Trevor Hutchins, Chris Charette and Berkely Wachtman also scored for the Colonels.
• Harrison Hoops scored two goals and added an assist in Stonington's 6-0 win over Tourtellotte. Jamison Magowan had a goal and two assists for the Bears, who broke open the game with five goals in the first half. Tyler Fidyrch, Graham Johnstone and Jack Cullen also scored while Jason Kilcoyne, Shane Smith and Martin Vernet had one assist apiece.
MOST VIEWED MEDIA