Fire damages Old Lyme laundromat
Old Lyme – Two large shed-like structures were destroyed in a fire Tuesday night and the Snow White Laundromat on Shore Road sustained heavy smoke damage, Old Lyme fire department spokesman John Cody said.
No one was injured and no one was in the buildings at the time of the blaze, Cody said. The fire was called in around 8:30 p.m. and suppressed in 10 minutes, he said. Fire departments in Old Saybrook, East Lyme, Westbrook, Essex and Lyme were all part of the "robust response" to the call, Cody said.
The department called in Connecticut Light & Power to turn off a power line after a live electrical wire fell down and started sparking, hindering the firefighters' efforts, Cody said.
Old Lyme crews remained on scene until about 10:30 p.m. to look for hidden fire and to continue mop up, Cody said. A hole was cut in the roof of the laundromat to aid in ventilation, he said.
Stories that may interest you
Police are searching for a 17-year-old girl who they said went missing Sunday.
Arrests by state police and local departments across the region
Police are investigating a two-vehicle crash Saturday morning that led to Life Star helicopter transporting a seriously injured motorcyclist to the hospital.
Arrests by state police and local departments around the region.