H.S. baseball: Waterford rides combined no-hitter to rout Cromwell 10-1
Cromwell — Walker Sutman and John Pellegrino combined to pitch seventh-ranked Waterford's third no-hitter of the season as the Lancers rolled to a 10-1 nonleague baseball victory over Cromwell on Friday afternoon.
Walker pitched the six innings and Pellegrino the seventh for Waterford (14-4). Lancers ace Mike Burrows pitched back-to-back no-hitters earlier this month.
Sutman also had a big day at the plate with a home run, single and a pair of runs scored.
Matthew Driscoll led Waterford with a home, double, two runs and two RBI while Bobby Silva had three hits and scored twice and Ben Jerome singled, double and scored a run.
Cromwell is 13-7.
In other games:
• Old Lyme rallied for a pair of runs in the seventh inning to beat Fitch 3-2 in a nonleague game. Trailing 2-1, pinch-hitter Dan Kendall led off the inning with a double, moved to third on a bunt by Liam Johnston and scored on a base hit by Liam Holloway. Johnston would score the go-ahead run on an error.
Hunter Thornton went the distance for the Wildcats (12-7), pitching a three-hitter while striking out 10 and not walking a batter. Manish Rane-Catrodad and Tyler Cady had doubles for the Falcons, who finish the regular season 13-7.
• Ian Small pitched a four-hitter as Norwich Free Academy beat Bacon Academy 4-1. Small struck out two, walked three and allowed no earned runs. He also caught a line drive to end the game with the potential tying run at the plate. Kevin Pomroy had three hits and Vinny Gualtieri had a two-run double for NFA (7-12). Justin Avery had two hits for Bacon (14-5).
• St. Bernard rode two shutout pitching performances to a doubleheader sweep at Dodd Stadium. Max Adams allowed just one hit during a 14-0 five-inning win over Putnam in the opener while Adam Kirsch scattered three hits during a 6-0 win over Ellis Tech in the second game. Adams did not walk a batter, struck out nine and went 2-for-3 with a double, triple and three RBI for the Saints (9-10) against Putnam. Hunter Baillargeon and Connor Svab added two hits apiece. Against Ellis Tech, Kirsch walked two and struck out nine while Baillargeon and Svab each had two hits again and Sam Davis broke a scoreless tie with an RBI single in the fourth.
• Cameron Reyes had a pinch-hit, three-run double in the sixth inning as Wheeler beat Grasso Tech 13-8 in a nonleague game. Chris Haines was 3-for-4 with two RBI, Bowen Baker had two hits and two RBI, Joey DeMarco had two hits and Justin Veal picked up the victory for the Lions (6-12).
• Ledyard went 1-1, opening the day with an 8-1 win over New London in an ECC Division I game before losing to Stonington 5-3. James Laconico had three hits and two RBI in the first game and winning pitcher Ken Turner, Nathan Grabbe and Robbie Petriel each scored two runs for Ledyard (10-9, 5-3).
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES