Local roundup: Tigers fall to the Spinners
Norwich — The Connecticut Tigers lost to the Lowell Spinners in a New York-Penn League baseball game on Sunday, falling 6-3 at Dodd Stadium.
Lowell broke a 3-3 tie with a run in the top of the fifth inning and scored twice in the top on the ninth. Moises Nunez had a two-run double in a three-run second for the Tigers (2-1).
Zone 6 Legion baseball
• Norwich picked up its first win of the season, beating Moosup 7-3. Jake Crowley went six innings for the iwn, allowing two earned runs with six strikeouts. Robert Thorburn had two triples and scored twice, Riley Burke had two hits and Crowley had a run-scoring triple for Norwich (1-8).
• Todd Owen of Somers won the SK Modified race at the New London-Waterford Speedbowl on Saturday night. Rob Janovic Jr. of Waterford finished second and Dylan Izzo of Monroe was third.
Other winners were Jonathan Puleo of Branford (SK Lite Modified), Jon Porter of East Lyme (Sportsman) and Charles Canfield of East Haven (Mini Stocks). Wayne Burroughs of Oakdale was second in the SK Lites followed by Brett Gonyaw of Vernon, Shawn Gaedeke of Groton was second in the Sportsman race followed by Jason Chicolas of Sutton, Mass., and Douglas Curry of Groton was second in the Mini Stocks with Ian Brew of Wood River Junction, R.I., coming in third.
District 10 softball (11-12)
• Groton/Mystic finished pool play at 4-0 with a 6-2 win over East Lyme. Winning pitcher Charlotte Cabral struck out 15 in six innings. Grace Jenkins homered and Sydney Lyon and Katie Tuohy had two hits each for Groton/Mystic. Abbie Robinson pitched five innings and Ava Roth had a hit for East Lyme.
• Waterford finished pool play at 4-0 with a 7-0 win over Lyme/Old Lyme. Winning pitcher Anna Dziecinny struck out nine and was 3-for-4 with a double. Marina Colonis and Grace Muti had doubles for Waterford. Grace Phanouf had two hits for Lyme/Old Lyme and Jamie Bucior struck out nine in six innings.
• Lyme/Old Lyme beat Ledyard 12-0 on Saturday. Hannah Johnston pitched a one-hitter with eight strikeouts. Jenna Schauder had two hits and drove in two runs for Lyme/Old Lyme. Jennifer Towne had the Ledyard hit.
• Katie Tuohy struck out seven as Groton/Mystic beat Salem/Bozrah 11-0 on Saturday. Angelica Tompkins homered, Tuohy had two hits and Charlotte Cabral had a triple for Groton/Mystic.
MOST VIEWED MEDIA