H.S. basketball: Stonington girls outlast East Lyme 55-48
Stonington — Zoe Ribeiro had 13 points and 13 rebounds as Stonington beat East Lyme 55-48 in a girls' basketball game on Friday night.
Stonington made 17 of 24 free throws; the Vikings 3 of 8.
Kate Johnson had 19 points and four rebounds for the Bears (10-3), Miranda Arruda had 16 points and seven rebounds, and Aliza Bell added 17 rebounds.
Megan Bauman had 19 points and four rebounds for the Vikings (8-6).
In other games:
• Xariya Melendez had 15 points, 10 rebounds and six steals as New London downed Waterford 59-39. Joniyah Bland-Fitzpatrick had 13 points and 10 rebounds and Jayden Burns had 12 points and three steals for the Whalers (11-1), the top-ranked team in the GameTimeCT/New Haven Register Top 10 poll. Also, Spencer Roman had 11 points, five assists and four rebounds and Wendy Gethers had 10 rebounds. Gaby Kramer scored nine for the Lancers (4-8).
• Sarah Ericson made two of NFA’s five fourth-quarter 3-pointers as the Wildcats beat Bacon Academy 39-27. Janissa Varela scored nine for NFA (7-6), which lost its first three games and five of its first seven. Kellie Nudd scored 21 for the Bobcats (10-3).
• Emily DeRoehn had 16 points for Old Lyme as it downed Hale-Ray 70-21 in the Shoreline Conference. Catie Battalino had 11 points for Old Lyme (8-4, 6-4). The Noises are 1-11, 0-10.
• Geovonna Taitague scored 17 points to lead Norwich Tech past Grasso Tech 37-12 in a Connecticut Technical Conference game. Ashley Williams scored eight with 12 steals for Norwich Tech (3-9, 2-2) and Julia Robert had 15 rebounds. Grasso is 1-9, 0-4.
• Montville's Maya Hillman had seven points, 18 rebounds and three blocks in a 26-25 loss to Killingly. Lauren Velazquez had six steals and five rebounds for the Indians (8-5).
• Ken Turner had 23 points, 10 rebounds and seven assists as Ledyard beat Killingly 77-48. Seamus McGrath had 17 points and nine rebounds, Dorell Cagle scored 15 and Omar Whitmore had nine assists for Ledyard (4-5). Killingly is 4-6.
• Nolan Molkenthin led NFA with 17 points in its 66-40 win over Woodstock Academy. Mason Jackson had 15 points for NFA (8-3) and Xavier Marquez scored 10.
• Max Lee had 19 points in St. Bernard’s 72-52 win over Tourtellotte. Walker Baillargeon added 14 points for the Saints (7-3).
• Markeith Conyers scored 27 points as Plainfield downed Montville 56-52. Zach Southard had 19 points for the Indians (8-5) and Ethan McKinney scored 12.
• Silus Wiggins scored 20 points to lead Grasso Tech to a 68-44 win over Norwich Tech in a CTC game. Jacob Cortes and Luis Duran had 15 points each for Grasso (2-8). Brandon Mayersohn scored 14 for the Warriors (1-9).
Stories that may interest you
Makayla Poirier-Vaughters finished with 24 points, 14 in the first half, and top-seeded NFA defeated No. 3 Bacon Academy 58-30 in the ECC Division I tournament championship game before 2,253 lively fans at Mohegan Sun.
Trinity Angel had 15 points, 10 rebounds and four steals as second-seeded Killingly beat top-seeded Putnam on Tuesday night, 55-49, to win the Eastern Connecticut Conference Division II girls' basketball tournament title.
Nolan Molkenthin made a go-ahead 3-pointer with 2 minutes, 8 seconds left to give the NFA boys' basketball team a 60-54 win over Xavier on Monday night and a 20-0 regular season.
Old Lyme, ranked 10th in the GameTimeCT Top 10 poll boys' basketball, celebrated Senior Night on Monday with a 70-46 victory over Cromwell to clinch at least a share of the Shoreline Conference regular-season title.