Support journalism that matters to you

Since COVID-19 impacts us all and we want everyone in our community to have the important information they need, we have decided to make all coronavirus related stories free to read on While we are providing free access to articles, they are not free to produce. The newsroom is working long hours to provide you the news and information you need during this health emergency. Please consider supporting our work by subscribing or donating.

Clerics meet with officials after police-involved shooting in New Haven

NEW HAVEN (AP) — Connecticut religious leaders met with government officials Friday to try to ease concerns after a shooting that involved police, wounded a woman and led to protests.

Local clerics met with Hamden Mayor Curt Leng and police officials, three days after a Hamden officer and a Yale University officer opened fire on a car in New Haven early Tuesday while investigating an attempted armed robbery reported in Hamden. A 22-year-old woman in the car, Stephanie Washington, was treated for injuries not considered life threatening, police said.

Several protests were held this week in New Haven and Hamden, including one Thursday night that drew several hundred people and prompted police to close several streets in New Haven. No violence or arrests were reported.

Demonstrators included Black Lives Matter activists and Yale University students upset at the actions of the officers. Both officers are black, as are the woman who was wounded and the car's driver.

The Rev. Boise Kimber, senior pastor of First Calvary Baptist Church, said Friday that Hamden police agreed to implement urban trauma and de-escalation training for officers, as well as notify New Haven police when Hamden officers cross the city line.

"It was devastating to this community to see this kind of action and gunshots," Kimber said. "I know this community is traumatized and the two individuals in the car are traumatized."

Authorities said Hamden officer Devin Eaton was investigating the attempted armed robbery of a newspaper delivery carrier at a Hamden gas station shortly before 4:30 a.m. Tuesday, and Yale officer Terrance Pollack responded to a call to assist Eaton.

Police officials said the two officers stopped a car that matched the description of the vehicle reported to have been involved in the attempted robbery. Authorities said both officers opened fire when the car's driver, Paul Witherspoon III, 21, abruptly got out of the vehicle.

Witherspoon's girlfriend, Stephanie Washington, a passenger in the car, was shot and taken to Yale New Haven Hospital, where police said she remained in stable condition Friday.

Witherspoon was taken to the Hamden police department and later released. No charges have been filed.

A state police spokesman said this week that no weapons were found in the car. State police said Friday that they applied for a search warrant for the car but had no additional information on the warrant.

Surveillance video shows one of the officers shooting several times at the car.

Witherspoon, who was not injured, told WTNH-TV he has seen a lot of videos of police-involved shootings and thought he was going to be killed.

"He was just ready to shoot," he said of one of the officers. "My girlfriend was yelling like, 'They shot me. They shot me. They shot me.' I just never thought it would happen to me, especially here."



Loading comments...
Hide Comments