H.S. soccer: Montville girls open season with easy win
Montville — Lauren Velazquez and Michaela MacCracken scored two goals each as the Montville High School girls' soccer team beat Tourtellotte 6-0 Tuesday in its season opener.
Alexis Meehan had a goal and two assists and Kara Beaupre scored for Montville, which led 2-0 at halftime. Montville outshot Tourtellotte 16-2.
In other games:
• Meredith Healy scored early in the second overtime, converting in the midst of a scrum in front of the net, to lift East Lyme past Ledyard 2-1. Phoebe Provencher gave East Lyme (1-2) a 1-0 lead at the 56-minute mark, but Ledyard's Abby Millbach tied it with 2:03 to play, forcing the overtime. Avery Owen made 10 saves for East Lyme. Ledyard is 0-2.
• Sophomore Vanessa Benjamin scored four goals as Stonington beat Putnam 8-0. Jessica Detwiler, Holly Foster, Rachel Sabbadini and Corinne Steeno also scored for the Bears (1-1).
• Victoria Hannaford and Halie Jennings scored two goals each as St. Bernard beat Windham 5-1. Caroline Codner had a goal and an assist, Lindsay Clement had two assists and Elizabeth Hannaford had an assist for the Saints (2-0). Carly Potts and Olivia Massad combined for five saves for St. Bernard.
• Ivy Gelhaus scored with three minutes left in the second half as Woodstock Academy beat Waterford 1-0. Irene Askitis made six saves for Waterford (1-1), including one in the final 30 seconds off a free kick.
• Norwich Tech/Holy Family lost to Platt Tech in a Connecticut Technical Conference game. Taylor Bogle scored for Norwich Tech (0-2).
• Kurt Mahlke scored the game's only goal with 15 minutes remaining to lift unbeaten East Lyme to a 1-0 victory over Ledyard. Alec Kosinski assisted on the goal, which came only five minutes after Ledyard goalie Ken Turner stopped a penalty kick. Turner finished with six saves for the Colonels (1-1) while Sumeal Lall stopped five shots for the Vikings (3-0).
• Micheal Quinn had a goal and an assist as Hale-Ray scored two goals in the final 16 minutes to beat Old Lyme 2-0 in the Shoreline Conference. Goalie Ryan Tetreault made four saves for Old Lyme (0-2, 0-1), which was outshot 12-6.
• Kevin Vazquez scored three goals as Grasso Tech beat Vinal Tech 6-1 in a CTC game. Rojuan Henry, Jorge Serrano and Josh Asalade had goals, Francisco Colon, Kevin Duarte and Silus Wiggins had assists and Joel Potter made three saves for Grasso (1-1).
Stories that may interest you
Stonington took sole possession of first place in Eastern Connecticut Conference Division II play in girls' lacrosse with a 17-11 win over Waterford on Thursday night.
The score was tied at halftime, 6-6, and had been deadlocked three times before that between Fitch, the challenger, and 13-time defending Eastern Connecticut Conference Division I champion East Lyme.
Phoenix Billings hit a monstrous two-run, go-ahead home run in the top of the sixth inning as sixth-ranked Hand sent top-ranked Ledyard to a 6-3 baseball loss, its first of the season.
New London senior Jacob Commander used his toughness and will to win his third ECC title and second CIAC Class L title this season. He also used his stubborness to rally back from quarterfinal losses at both the State Open and New Englands to finish third.