H.S. basketball roundup: Horner sparks No. 7 East Lyme past NFA
East Lyme — T.J. Horner scored a game-high 20 points as East Lyme topped Norwich Free Academy on Thursday, 63-53, in an Eastern Connecticut Conference Division I boys’ basketball game.
Luke Leonard scored 16 and Dev Ostrowski 14 for East Lyme (7-1, 2-0), ranked seventh in the GameTimeCT/New Haven Register Top 10 poll.
Mason Jackson scored 20 for the Wildcats (6-3, 1-1).
In other games:
• Ken Turner had 16 points and 10 rebounds to pace Ledyard past New London, 57-46, in an ECC Division I game. Seamus McGrath had 17 points and seven rebounds, Jaiden Bickham scored 10, and Omar Whitmore had eight assists for Ledyard (3-4, 1-1). Tayeshawn Cunningham and Elijah Robinson both scored 12 for the Whalers (1-6, 0-2) and Jabari Jones scored 11.
• J.J. Brennan (13 points, seven steals, five rebounds) was one of four players to score in double figures for No. 6 Waterford in its 61-45 win over Killingly in an ECC Division II game. Ryan O’Connell had 10 points and nine rebounds, Payton Sutman had 12 points and six rebounds, and Liam Spellman had 12 points and four assists for the Lancers (9-0, 2-0). Kenny Hill also added eight assists. Luke Desaulnier scored 18 for Killingly.
• David Beaudet scored 23 as Fitch downed Woodstock Academy, 78-56, in an ECC Division II game. Yaniel Hernandez scored 15 for Fitch (4-3, 2-0) and Ajia Brown scored 11. Cole Hackett scored 16 for the Centaurs.
• Marquis Jackson scored 30 points as Stonington beat Windham 81-52 in an ECC Division III game. Zach Scott had 19 points and 10 rebounds, RJ Parrilla had 11 points, seven rebounds and seven assists and Jackson had five 3-pointers and eight rebounds for the Bears (7-1, 2-0).
• Ethan McKinney scored 15 with five assists and five steals as Montville beat Wheeler 50-43 in an ECC Division IV game. Zach Southard scored 13 and Ryan Champagne had 12 points and eight rebounds for Montville (3-4, 1-1). Bowen Baker had 18 points and 10 rebounds and Liam Patrick scored 11 for the Lions (3-5, 0-3).
• Joe Beltran scored 20 as St. Bernard beat Griswold 44-28 in an ECC Division IV game. The Saints are 5-3, 2-0.
• Caitlyn Dooley scored 14 to lead NFA to a 57-45 win over East Lyme in an ECC Division I game. Bella Graziano had 11 points and Shante Talley scored 10 for NFA (5-5, 2-0), which led 17-6 after one quarter and 31-11 at halftime. Sophie Dubreuil had 15 points and Megan Bauman scored 14 for the Vikings (6-5, 1-1).
• Xaryia Melendez scored 19 points and had 11 rebounds as No. 1 New London dominated Woodstock Academy in the third quarter en route to a 74-40 ECC Division I victory. Joniyah Bland-Fitzpatrick scored 18, Tai Pagan scored 13 and Spencer Roman had 12 rebounds for the Whalers (9-1, 2-0), who outscored the Centaurs in the third quarter, 25-2. Heather Converse led the Centuars (6-3, 0-2) with 17 points and 16 rebounds.
• Emily Nelson had 13 points to help St. Bernard beat Tourtellotte 37-27 in an ECC Division IV game. Sophia Boras had 10 points and Amber Caldwell had 11 rebounds for the Saints (3-5, 1-2).
• Julianna Bonilla scored 12 and Marilyn Childs had 13 rebounds as Waterford pulled away from Fitch in the third quarter for a 47-27 win in the ECC Division II game. Amy Pinch had 10 points and six steals for Waterford (3-6, 1-2), which outscored the Falcons in the third quarter, 13-4. Charlotte Carney had 11 points and Nyseanah Ishmael scored nine for the Falcons (4-6, 1-3).