H.S. basketball roundup: Saints get a buzzer-beater in ECC tournament opener
Montville — Lindsay Clement scored all 11 of her points in the fourth quarter, including a 3-pointer at the buzzer, as the seventh-seeded St. Bernard School girls' basketball team defeated No. 10 Wheeler 26-23 Wednesday in the qualifying round of the Eastern Connecticut Conference Division II tournament.
Wheeler led 19-8 after three quarters.
Ariana Guinassi hit both ends of a one-and-one with 20 seconds remaining for St. Bernard to even the score at 23-23. The Saints (8-13) then got the ball back off a turnover and Clement, a sophomore, hit her shot from the right side of the key.
Clement added 11 rebounds and Amber Caldwell had six points and 12 rebounds for St. Bernard, which goes on to play at No. 2 Plainfield in the quarterfinal round at 6:30 p.m. Thursday.
Sam Caster had eight points for Wheeler (5-15).
In other games:
• Samantha Money had 19 points and Katie Krupansky 13 points in No. 8 Ledyard's 44-40 victory over No. 9 Fitch in the qualifying round of the ECC Division I tournament. Ledyard (8-13) advanced to play at top-seeded New London in the quarterfinals at 7 p.m. Thursday. Fitch is 8-13.
• Emma McCulloch had 16 points and nine rebounds as Old Lyme closed out its regular season with a 44-35 win over Portland in a Shoreline Conference game. Emily DeRoehn had 10 points and eight rebounds for Old Lyme (15-5, 11-5), which hosts Coginchaug in a Shoreline tournament quarterfinal at 5 p.m. Saturday.
• Grasso Tech closed out its season with a 51-7 loss to O'Brien Tech. Samarie Delgado and Topaz Baker had three points each for Grasso (2-18).
• Williams School lost to Capital Prep Harbor 33-27. Olivia Kaplan had nine points and Anna Mae Saunders scored eight for Williams (5-10).
• Norwich Tech lost to Coventry 44-27 in a nonleague game. Kiara Jerard scored 11 points, Ashlyn Bill had 12 rebounds and Ashley Williams had eight steals for Norwich Tech (7-12).
• Noah James scored 22 of his career-high 37 points in the first quarter in New London's 89-59 win over Prince Tech (17-2). Camaree Williams had 12 points and 16 rebounds, while Elijah Robinson had 13 points and 10 rebounds and Tayeshawn Cunningham-Pemberton added 13 points, five rebounds and five assists for the Whalers (8-11), who qualified for the state tournament with the win. Prince beat New London 72-58 in the season opener on Dec. 13.
• Norwich Free Academy outscored Bacon Academy 25-3 in the second quarter on the way to a 75-43 victory. Jared Martin led all scorers with 20 points while Mason Jackson had 18 and Osman Surer added 11 points for NFA (13-6).
• Zach Scott scored 19 points to lead Stonington past Montville 73-38. Cooper Wall scored 16, Jacob Geary had 12 points and five rebounds and RJ Parrilla added 12 points, 10 assists and six rebounds for the Bears (13-5). Zach Southard had 13 points for Montville (7-11).
• Wheeler lost to Hale-Ray 57-44 in a nonleague game. Scott Pion scored 14 points for Wheeler (5-13).