H.S. roundup: Unbeaten Old Lyme girls clinch Shoreline tennis title
Old Lyme — The Old Lyme High School girls' tennis team clinched the Shoreline Conference regular season title with a 6-1 victory over Valley Regional on Tuesday.
Callie Bass, Sam Tan and Livie Bass won their singles matches for the Wildcats, who improved to 10-0 overall and in the conference.
The doubles duos of Lauren Wallace-Alexis Fenton, Fiona Hufford-Izzy Reynolds and Sophia Ortoleva-Elaina Morosky also won their matches.
In other matches:
• Lily Armstrong, Kara Espinosa and Velazquez won their singles matches in Norwich Tech's 5-2 win over Platt Tech in CTC action. The doubles duos of Amber Kerby-Alyssa Mikolajczak and Espinosa-Ildanita Campos also won for Norwich Tech (3-1, 3-1).
• Stonington blanked East Lyme 7-0 in an Eastern Connecticut Conference Division I match on Monday behind straight-set singles wins from Maddie Hamm, Maddie Gonsalvez, Mia Lewandowski and Grace Milne.
• Miles Sarmiento had a grand slam, finishing with three hits and six RBI as Montville beat Ledyard 13-5 in an ECC Division I game. Chris Cullen also had three hits with two doubles for Montville (6-3, 6-3) and Joe Wainwright had two hits. Zion Fraser and Nate Petriel each had two hits for Ledyard (2-7, 2-7).
• Winning pitcher Nathan Licitra allowed three hits and struck out seven as East Lyme rolled to a 9-1 ECC Division I victory over Norwich Free Academy at Dickenman Field. Blake Biggs had two hits and three RBI and Carter Chambers had a home run and three RBI for the Vikings (6-4, 6-4), who also received two hits from Ben Sartori. Ryan Deshefy homered for the Wildcats (7-4, 6-4).
• Jason Cropley hit a three-run home run in Lyman Memorial's 16-0 shutout of Wheeler in a five-inning ECC Division II game. Jared Russo had a single and two doubles and Mike Incontro had two hits and three RBI for the Bulldogs (3-6, 3-6). Dave Bransford had two hits for the Lions (2-7, 2-7).
• Killingly remained undefeated with a 19-0 shutout of Griswold in a five-inning ECC Division II game. Winning pitcher Jay Grzysiewicz allowed one hit and struck out seven in four innings for Killingly. The Wolverines fell to 4-5, 4-5.
• Grasso Tech outhit Cheney Tech, 9-7, but lost the Connecticut Technical Conference game, 9-5. Jesus Sanchez had three hits and two RBI for the Eagles (2-4, 2-3).
• Kassidy LaTour had four hits, including a home run, to lead Lyman Memorial past Wheeler, 16-1, in a five-inning ECC Division II game. Rayne Bobbi also had four hits for the Bulldogs (6-2, 6-2), who broke the game open with seven runs in the second inning. Addie Hauptmann had a single and home run for the Lions (4-6, 4-6).
• Ariana Guinassi had two home runs, a single and five RBI to power St. Bernard past Tourtellotte, 7-5, in an ECC Division II game. Angelica Thompkins had two hits and Alyssa Lazarou had a double while Leah Egan was the winning pitcher for the Saints (1-7, 1-7).
• St. Bernard nipped Lyman Memorial, 4-3, in an ECC Division II match that had four forfeits. Gage Goodwin won at No. 1 singles and Liam Peters won at No. 2 for the Saints (2-2-1, 2-1-1). The Bulldogs are 1-5, 1-3.
• Morgun Whittaker fired a 43 and Grant Kortfelt had a 44 in Montville's 6-1 ECC Division I win over New London at Norwich Golf Course. The Indians are 5-0, 4-0. New London's Zach Stock was the medalist, shooting a 42. The Whalers are 0-7, 0-6.
• Gianni Rotella and Brandon Tavares shared medalist honors at 45, leading Stonington past Wheeler/Ledyard, 6-1, in an ECC Division I match at Stonington Country Club. The Bears are 2-3, 2-3. Gavin Arruda and Kieran Boscoe each had a 45 for the Lions (1-7, 1-6).
• Norman Maranda earned medalist honors with a 41, leading Grasso Tech past O'Brien Tech, 199-228, in a CTC match at Pequot Golf Club. Nathan Sylvestre had 43 and Nolan Blewitt a 48 for the Eagles (2-1, 2-1).
• Nate McCormack was the medalist with a 39 in Fitch's 4-3 win over Norwich Free Academy in ECC Division I match at Norwich Golf Course. The Falcons are 5-4, 4-4. Kyle Sikorski had the low score for the Wildcats (2-3, 1-2), firing a 48 to win at No. 1.
• Dan Singer and Matt Orefice won their matches at No. 1 and No. 2, respectively, both shooting a 39, leading East Lyme past Waterford in an ECC Division I match at Old Lyme Country Club. The Vikings are 6-0, 6-0. Andrew Zanghetti scored the only point for the Lancers (5-3, 5-2).
• Pat Flanagan had the low score for Old Lyme, shooting a 43, as the Wildcats beat Hale Ray, 196-231, in a Shoreline Conference match at Black Birch in Moodus. Old Lyme improves to 4-3, 4-3.
• East Lyme won its homer opener with a 225-255 ECC victory over NFA at Old Lyme Country Club on Monday. Sarah Healy was the medalist for the Vikings (3-2, 3-2) with a 53 while Julia Kahl and Angelina Rheaume each shot a 56. NFA is 2-4, 2-4.
Stories that may interest you
Bacon Academy remained atop the Eastern Connecticut Conference Division II girls' lacrosse standings with an 18-3 victory over Griswold on Thursday.
Shoreline Conference champion Westbrook beat Old Lyme for the second time this year, edging the Wildcats 4-3 in a boys' tennis match on Wednesday.
Josh Mooney won the 100 (11.0), 200 (22.8), 110 hurdles (15.1) and the javelin (150-3) to pace unbeaten Stonington past East Lyme on Wednesday, 94-56, in an Eastern Connecticut Conference Division I boys' meet.
The Zelesky twins helped East Lyme remain undefeated with a 95-51 win at Stonington in an Eastern Connecticut Conference Division I girls' track and field meet.