H.S. baseball roundup: St. Bernard rallies past Plainfield
Montville — St. Bernard scored five runs in the bottom of the sixth inning to rally for a 6-3 win over Plainfield in an Eastern Connecticut Conference Division II baseball game on Saturday.
With two outs, Aiden Whitten, Ethan Chavez and Walker Baillargeon (RBI) singled to get the Saints within a run. Luca Muscarella's two-run double gave the Saints (8-6, 8-6) a 4-3 lead and Joe Basso doubled home two more runs to cap the rally.
Whitten got the win in relief of Kyle Egan, who allowed three hits with eight strikeouts over 5.2 innings. Freshman Keyan Mayernik struck out 13 in 5.2 innings for Plainfield (12-2, 12-2), which saw its 11-game winning streak end.
In other games:
• Griffin Pontbriant pitched a two-hitter as Norwich Free Academy beat Montville 6-0 in an ECC Division I game. Pontbriant struck out seven with one walk and was also 2-for-4 and scored twice. Mason Bordeau had two hits and two RBI, Jake Savage had two hits and Ethan Heinsz drove in two runs for NFA (9-5, 8-5). Miles Sarmiento and Derrell Mitchell had hits for Montville (6-6, 6-6).
• No. 4 Waterford beat New London 6-2 in an ECC Division I game. Colby Arnold struck out five over six innings for the win. Connor Rowe had two hits and a stolen base, Evan McCue singled and doubled and Connor Podeszwa scored twice for Waterford (13-0, 12-0). Kenny Miller had two hits, including a two-run double, Bebo Martinez doubled and Garrett Matson singled and scored a run for New London (4-11, 3-10).
• Bacon Academy scored four runs in the bottom of the fourth inning and went on to beat Fitch 7-2 in an ECC Division I game. Trailing 2-0, Bacon's Andrew Navickas hit a two-run double to tie the game and Terrance Gignac's two-run single gave Bacon a 4-2 lead. Luke Pennella had two hits and scored twice and Colton Vasseur had two hits, including a double, for Bacon (8-4, 8-4). Fitch (8-4, 8-4) had three hits and Cam McGugan (double) had all of them.
• Evan Gilgenbach pitched a four-hitter with 12 strikeouts as Griswold beat Lyman Memorial 2-1 in an ECC Division II game. Gilgenbach had three hits and scored a run for the Wolverines (7-8, 7-7). Josh Person of Lyman (7-7, 7-7) pitched a five-hitter with 11 strikeouts and teammate Ethan Michael singled and doubled.
• Jacob Mailloux's RBI single in the bottom of the 10th inning lifted Putnam to a 5-4 win over Wheeler in an ECC Division II game. Putnam scored four runs in the bottom of the seventh inning to tie the game at 4-4. Matt Pierce was 3-for-4 with two RBI and Sean Bergal had two hits for Wheeler (2-11, 2-11).
• Javion Velez went 3-for-4 with a double and scored two runs as Grasso Tech beat Windham Tech 16-6 in a five-inning Connecticut Technical Conference game at Eastern Connecticut State University on Friday night. Reynaldo Hidalgo added two hits, two runs and two RBI for the Eagles (5-5, 5-4) while Tito Arias had a single, triple and two runs and Randy Vidal scored three runs.
Stories that may interest you
Ryan Outlow ran for 246 yards and four scores as Ledyard earned sole possession of first place in Div. II of the Eastern Connecticut Conference with a 34-8 win over Waterford.
The Waterford girls' soccer team got a pair of goals from freshmen and picked up a 2-0 win over Plainfield in an Eastern Connecticut Conference Division II game on Saturday.
Seth Cunningham's touchdown run in overtime led the unbeaten Thames River football team to a 26-20 win over Prince Tech on Saturday.